Clear the way for the stampede! The first-ever Alabama Shake Shack opens in Birmingham on Wednesday, Aug. 22, at 11 a.m. at The Summit, 200 Summit Blvd. The best part? Numbers 3, 4 and 5 on this list are all about local at this globally loved restaurant.
1. American Food, Loved From London To Dubai
Shake Shack boasts 180 locations in 23 U.S. states and 70 international locations across the world. What do global fans love about Shake Shack? 100 percent all-natural Angus beef burgers, chicken sandwiches and griddled flat-top dogs (no hormones or antibiotics), crispy crinkle cut fries and fresh-made frozen custard.
2. About That Frozen Custard
The Birmingham Shake Shack will churn out frozen treats their fans know and love, PLUS a unique selection of frozen custard “concretes”:
- Pie Oh My: vanilla custard and slice of Four & Twenty Blackbirds seasonal pie
- Birming Graham: vanilla custard, lemon curd, marshmallow sauce and graham crackers (extra points for the pun!)
- Shack Attack: chocolate custard, fudge sauce, chocolate truffle cookie dough, dark chocolate chunks, topped with chocolate sprinkles
3. Sweet Home Ala… Wait, They Put Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q On Cheese Fries?!?
The Birmingham Shake Shack collaborated with Alabama favorite Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q on an exclusive local menu item: crinkle-cut fries topped with Big Bob Gibson’s pulled pork and cheese sauce. Giddy up!
Free food alert! The first 205 people in line when the Birmingham Shake Shack opens at 11 a.m. on Aug. 22 will receive a free order of Big Bob’s Cheese Fries!
4. Local Brews
Wash down that hearty meal with a beer from Avondale Brewing Co., Good People Brewing Co., Back Forty Beer Company or Cahaba Brewing Co. If you’d like some wine with that cheese(burger), Shake Shack serves a house red and white from the Gotham Project.
5. Score For Cahaba River
6. Eco-Friendly Construction
- tabletops created from repurposed bowling alley lanes (cool idea!)
- chairs made using sustainable materials
- booths built from Forest Stewardship Council-certified lumber
7. Birmingham Shake Shack is Hiring!
Full- and part-time positions are open, and no previous experience is required. Apply online at ShackCareers.com or text ShackAlabama to 77948.
Ahem, A Word
Now, I’m not saying there’s a right and wrong way to introduce a beloved burger joint franchise to Birmingham. But I think Shake Shack made a good decision here. Side-eye to you, Cook Out.