Dabo Swinney is probably the 3rd “most liked” head football coach by Alabama fans behind Nick Saban and Paul “Bear” Bryant.
As a native of Pelham, Alabama, and a former football player, coach and graduate at the Capstone, Swinney has much to like for a fan of the Crimson Tide.
So, while you watch the game tonight, here are a few interesting biographical tidbits you can share at the local watch party or with family and friends about Dabo Swinney.
- His name: According Swinney’s wikipedia entry his nickname Dabo was given to him as an infant by his parents when his then-18-month-old brother would try to enunciate “that boy” when referring to Swinney.(1)
- Pelham High School‘s most famous University of Alabama Football alums are Dabo Swinney and quarterback Tyler Watts. (2)
- Swinney played for the 1992 Alabama National Championship team. (3)
- In December 1995, Swinney received his MBA from Alabama. (4)
- Swinney was twice named an Academic All-SEC and SEC Scholar Athlete Honor Roll member. (5)
- Swinney stopped coaching for nearly two years (2001-2003) to work in real estate development. (6)
- If Swinney’s Clemson Tigers win tonight, he will join Paul “Bear” Bryant, Bud Wilkinson, Frank Leahy and Jimmy Johnson as the only men to win national championships both as a player and as a coach at the Football Bowl Subdivision. (7)
Sources: Wikipedia (1, 4, 5), al.com (2), Independent Mail (3,7), Footballscoop.com (6)
You can now see why Alabama football fans like Swinney. We can imagine that will change for about 4 hours tonight during the biggest game of the year.
Want to share this info with friends and family about Clemson’s Head Coach Dabo Swinney at a Watch Party tonight? Check out Bham Now’s Watch Party list: