The annual Heart of Alabama Walk to End Alzheimer’s is back again this fall on Sunday, October 22. Read on to meet last year’s Walk Champion of the Year and the incredible 2023 Executive Leadership Team, plus how you can get involved.
Meet the Executive Leadership Team
Last year, the first-ever Executive Leadership Team was created to participate in a philanthropic competition benefiting the Heart of Alabama Walk to End Alzheimer’s.
These nominees were individuals in Birmingham who are active members in their communities and part of companies that want to make a difference by partnering with the Alzheimer’s Association.
Another team has risen to the occasion to raise even more for the fight against Alzheimer’s in 2023:
- Michelle Lorino, Steris
- Kimberly Stephens, Domit Investment Group
- Team members:
- Mitchell Bruhn, WatsonBruhn Builders, LLC General Contractors
- Paul Yeager, RFG Advisory
- Hillary Campbell, Bradley
- Advisory board:
- Harrison Adams, Specialist Management Solutions, Surgical Care Affiliates
What does the Executive Leadership Team do?
The 2023 team members have big shoes to fill. Here’s what their nine-month commitment consists of:
- Participating in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s fundraising competition
- Fundraising through their own companies
- Securing other companies as sponsors
- Committing to a personal fundraising goal of $2,500+
·The top fundraiser will be named the Walk Champion of the Year for the 2023 Walk Season. We can’t wait to see what the accomplish this year!
The 2022 Walk Champion of the Year
Last year, John Mark Goodman of Bradley Arant (law firm) was a part of the Alzheimer’s Association’s Executive Leadership Team and was crowned the 2022 Walk to End Alzheimer’s Walk Champion of the year.
Like too many, John Mark watched his grandmother suffer a 10-year battle with dementia. His response has been to dedicate his time to the Walk to End Alzheimer’s so he can give back and see others do the same.
Raising over $11,000 for the event, he was the 2022 Executive Leadership Team Walk Champion of the Year, making a huge impact in the fight to end Alzheimer’s and all other dementia.
Take a look at the Walk to End Alzheimer’s 2022 Impact:
- In 2022 alone, the Alzheimer’s Association provided over $400 thousand dollars in active research funding at major universities in Alabama like the UAB, Auburn University, and the University of South Alabama. Since 1993, the organization has provided over $4 million in research grants in our state.
- 79% of all funds raised through the Alzheimer’s Association’s Walk to End Alzhiemer’s go directly back to research and impact our communities through local care and support programs.
Register for the 2023 Walk to End Alzheimer’s today.
Walking the Walk
Kimberly Stephens, Alzheimer’s Association: Alabama Chapter Executive Leadership Team Chair has been working to end Alzheimer’s for nearly 10 years. When both her mom and aunt were diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer’s, Kimberly found the Alzheimer’s Association as a way to facilitate conversations with her family about the disease.
She said the Walk to End Alzheimer’s was “the opening to doing something.” She’s still heavily involved in the Association eight years later and invites you to join the fight to #ENDALZ by walking on October 22, joining the walk planning committee or starting a team.
Michelle Lorino, Executive Leadership Committee Co-chair, works to support, guide and mentor the members of the committee to make big things happen.
“I love meeting people that are connected in the community who want to help make a difference. Cheering on the Executive Leadership Team and celebrating their successes in fundraising for the Walk to End Alzheimer’s makes it all worth it.”Michelle Lorino, Co-chair, Executive Leadership Committee
Be a part of the story
Senior Walk Manager Kyadraine Powell has worked with the Alzheimer’s Association for over four years. She’s loved seeing how the Executive Leadership Team can tap into parts of the community that the Association otherwise wouldn’t reach, bringing on sponsorships and volunteers that really make a difference.
When asked about the Walk to End Alzheimer’s, Kyadraine said, “I wish people knew how much their presence matters.” She encouraged people to be a part of the planning committee leading up to the Walk or a day-of-event volunteer.
- When: Sunday, October 22
- Time: 1PM: Registration, 3PM: Ceremony
- Where: Sloss Furnaces
- Register | Give
- Contact to learn more + volunteer
Ready to get involved? Participate in the Alzheimer’s Association Walk to End Alzheimer’s in Birmingham on October 22 at Sloss Furnaces.
Join your community in the fight to #endalz and register today. Follow them on Instagram to stay updated on walk news and events