Last week, UAB Collat scholars joined United Way of Central Alabama’s Success by 6 program to assemble 800 bags totaling 4,000 books for Pre-K students in Birmingham. We were able to tag along, see how it’s done and learn all about Success by 6. Keep reading for more.
An impactful morning
The students were so excited to help. (UAB Collat School of Business)
As part of the UAB Collat Honors program, students participate in various volunteer opportunities as part of their mission to “do good and be better.” In the few hours I was able to see them work, it was clear they’d accomplish their goal.
They packed 800 bags full of books for students in Pre-K classrooms in public schools, private child care centers, faith-based child care centers and Head Start centers across Central Alabama. They even read each book as a group and discussed its meaning and why it would be an important book for young students to read.
Learn how your company, group or organization can get involved with Success by 6.
What is Success by 6?
Success By 6 partners with Pre-K classrooms across Central Alabama to set students up for success as they get them ready for kindergarten. The program focuses on children’s cognitive skills as well as their social and emotional development.
With the help of many community partners and volunteers, Success by 6 puts thousands of books and free school supplies in the hands of local children.
The program has helped with over 80 classrooms in these counties:
- St. Clair
How it works
Success by 6 does even more than provide books for local children. Here’s a look at what all they’re doing to improve access to quality early learning and prepare children to succeed in school:
- Distributes free books each year in the fall and spring to encourage a life-long love of learning and reading.
- Educates students on oral health prevention and links them to services promoting good oral health to reduce the number one cause of school absences, dental pain.
- Hosts family activities encouraging parental engagement and makes learning fun.
- Collects and distributes school supplies to provide tools for success to children in need.
- Refers children with health + development issues and those with disabilities to support services.
- Provides volunteer engagement opportunities to improve the learning environment and serve as positive role models for children.
Funds for books and supplies come from individual donations as well as support from the Rotary Club of Birmingham Foundation, Daniel Foundation and the Independent Presbyterian Church Foundation.
The program is changing lives all over the Central Alabama communities, even helping one local daycare win a First Class State Award.
Learn how you can get involved with Success by 6 and the many volunteer opportunities at United Way of Central Alabama.