Today, March 1, marks the first day of Women’s History Month. The City of Birmingham and local businesses are supporting impactful women through panels, luncheons, campaigns and more. Keep reading for events and the Birmingham-wide #StrongHER campaign.
Birmingham #StrongHER campaign
The 2023 theme for #StrongHer, the City of Birmingham’s annual salute to outstanding women, is “Born to Make a Difference: Then and Now”. It will be a celebration of women’s journeys from childhood to adulthood and the inspiring lessons learned along the way.
“We live in a city where women are making moves that spark change. The women highlighted in this campaign are just an example of the thousands of other female gamechangers working to make a difference in our city, our country and the world. I salute them all.”Randall Woodfin, Birmingham Mayor
International Women’s Day | March 8
International Women’s Day which is on March 8, is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating women’s equality. The goal is to create a more gender-equal world, free of bias and discrimination. This year’s theme is #EmbraceEquity focuses on why equal opportunities aren’t enough, true inclusion requires equitable action.
1. International Women’s Day Celebration | Forge + One Degree Marketing
The women of the Forge team have partnered with One Degree Marketing to host an International Women’s Day celebration. Celebrate women who are making an impact in Birmingham through their contributions to our society. There will also be a mini-market full of local female-owned businesses to shop at.
Schedule for the morning:
- 8:00-8:30: Networking, breakfast by Blueroot and mimosas
- 8:30-9:15: Panel discussion
- 9:15-9:30: Q&A
- 9:30-10:30 Mini-market
- When: Wednesday, March 8 | 8–10:30AM
- Where: Forge | 120 19th St N, #Ste 200, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Cost: Free | Reserve your spot
2. Women’s Adventure Film Tour | Sidewalk Film
The Women’s Adventure Film Tour is back for the sixth year and is coming to Sidewalk Film for three days. The tour is a celebration of the fantastic women around us who are doing extraordinary things in the name of adventure.
- When: Wednesday, March 8, 6:30PM | Thursday, March 9, 2PM + 5:30PM | Saturday, March 11, 2PM
- Where: Sidewalk Film + Cinema | 1821 2nd Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Cost: $5
3. International Women’s Day Program | UAB
Join UAB and other local community groups as they present tables and host activities related to women’s equity issues. Learn how you can make a difference in reproductive justice, education access and local social justice. There will also be women-owned businesses and vendors selling their unique goods, so come prepared to shop!
- When: Tuesday, March 7 | 11AM-2PM
- Where: Hill Student Center Ballroom | 1400 University Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35294
- Cost: Free
4. EmpowerHer Luncheon + Awards Ceremony | Birmingham Urban League
The Birmingham Urban League EmpowerHer awards luncheon highlights the contributions of Alabama women. The theme, the “Shades of Her”, will highlight women of color and the advancements of women-owned businesses.
- When: Tuesday, March 23 | Noon-2PM
- Where: The Harbert Center | 2019 4th Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Cost: $50
5. The Women Gather | Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
Hosted by the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, this special event consists of poetry, dance and song revolving around the theme “Women Who Tell Our Stories”. The event will feature local artists from different entertainment genres.
- When: Thursday, March 30 | 5-8PM
- Where: Birmingham Civil Rights Institute | 520 16th St N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Cost: Free
6. Bards & Brews Women’s History Month Open Mic | Uptown Jazz
Bards & Brews is heading to Uptown Jazz in on March 3rd for our Women’s History Month open mic. The night will be led by featured poet, Blaque Diamond. The theme is “Celebrating Women Who Tell Our Stories” which will be presented by talented spoken word artists sharing original works.
- When: Friday, March 3 | 6:30PM
- Where: Uptown Jazz Lounge | 2250B 9th Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Cost: Free | Must be 18+ to enter
Celebrate Women’s History Month in Huntsville, too.