Happy Monday, Birmingham! Let’s kick off the week with the top five stories you might have missed, including insider photos of the new Uproot Brewing, opening of Social Taco in Homewood and new library concept in Irondale. Read on for details.
1. Social Taco NOW OPEN in Homewood—details here
What’s happening: Social Taco, the sister restaurant to Homewood favorites SoHo Social and SoHo Standard, is finally open for business. The restaurant will serve $1 beer, an evolving selection of tequilas and mezcals, delicious Mexican classics and a few unique new menu items. We recommend trying the Pollo Tlayudas (Mexican pizza).
- Location: 1831 28th Ave S 175 N, Homewood, AL 35209
- Hours: Monday-Saturday, 11 AM–10 PM | Sunday, 11AM-9PM
- Website | Instagram | Facebook | Menu
2. Civitas is adding breakfast, coffee and cocktails concept in adjacent English Village space
What’s happening: Civitas, the popular fine dining establishment in the heart of Mountain Brook’s English Village, is expanding to the front corner space directly behind the Civitas statue. The new cafe will serve coffee and cocktails all day.
Why it matters: his announcement came right before Civitas’ one-year anniversary on February 1st. The new addition has plans to open in Summer 2023.
“It will all be connected. We’re going to have coffee and cocktails in the new space plus breakfast, lunch and ‘grab and go’ as well. At five o’clock you can have your tablecloth dinner with us in the space that we currently have.”Sunny Chander, Manager, Civitas
3. Sneak peek at Uproot Brewing, a NEW brewery opening mid-February [PHOTOS]
What’s happening: Uproot Brewing is opening its first brick-and-mortar location in the former Ghost Train location along 3rd Avenue South. Owned by Nate Darnell—former head brewer for Ferus Artisan Ales—Uproot Brewing is The Magic City’s newest brewery and is planning to open in mid-February.
Why it matters: Nate Darnell, who most recently worked as Head Brewer for Ferus Artisan Ales, had long been dreaming of opening up his own brewery. With the help of Ferus and the vacant building left by Ghost Train Brewing Co, Darnell found the perfect location to get started.
Upon opening in mid-February, you will find plenty of indoor seating, an outdoor patio, six new Uproot beers, as well as the addition of wine, spirits and non-alcoholic drinks to the menu in the near future.
4. 8 new businesses in Birmingham, including MELT, Ono Poké + more
- After closing its Avondale location, MELT is now officially open with your favorite eats in Lane Parke.
- Popular corn food truck, Aww Shucks, has opened its first brick-and-mortar in Avondale.
- Ono Poké’s third location in now open at The Summit, the other two being in Homewood and Downtown.
- Open Channels Wellness Studios is a group of holistic and alternative therapists all under one roof located off Montclair Road.
- Another addition to The Summit is Buckle, a fashion retail store for both men and women.
- Milo’s Hamburgers is coming back to Downtown Birmingham with more amenities and a huge grand opening on February 15-17.
- Coffee lovers, Honest Coffee Roasters has announced the opening of their location in Edgewood in April 2023.
- Peach Cobbler Factory is expanding to Trussville serving delicious sweet treats such as peach cobbler, banana pudding and more.
5. Irondale to build new public library, seeking community input on Jan. 26
What’s happening: Back in December 2022, Irondale purchased 7.9 acres at 1080 Grants Mill Road for the construction of a new library. The goal is to provide a “library-in-nature” feel that complements the site itself as well as adds to Irondale’s greenspace appeal.
Why it matters:
“Our goal is to build a library that will not only house books, but serve as a community engagement space. We want to capitalize on the opportunity to connect our citizens to both physical and online resources, as well as to one another. The new facility will feature technology-based programming, co-working space, outdoor elements, and community meeting rooms.”James D. Stewart, Jr., Mayor of Irondale
For the latest, buzziest news, sign up for our FREE newsletter and follow us on Instagram + Facebook.