Whether you’re looking to plant a garden for the first time or you’ve had a green thumb for years, you’ll want to come to a local seed exchange. Read on to learn how you can start your spring garden today.
What is a seed exchange?
Sometimes you just have extra seeds or want to plant something new. That’s where a seed exchange, or swap, comes in. According to Birmingham Botanical Gardens, a seed exchange is all about sharing seeds and learning from fellow gardeners.
Most importantly, this can encourage natural biodiversity by swapping locally adapted plant varieties. These exchanges can keep certain plant varieties thriving and expanding by having the plants grown in gardens across the city. Sharing seeds helps care for our local environment!
Head to a seed exchange in Birmingham
Curious about how to find a seed exchange in town? Here’s one you won’t want to miss:
- Birmingham Botanical Gardens Community Seed Swap
- What: Either bring any open-pollinated, heirloom seeds or come as you are to swap seeds + learn tips and tricks on how to have a thriving garden.
- When: Saturday, January 21 | 9AM-2PM
- Where: Birmingham Botanical Gardens, 2612 Lane Park Rd, Birmingham, AL 35223
- Cost: Free, donations encouraged
Surprisingly (or not), it’s easy to find fellow gardeners on social media. There are Facebook groups, like Birmingham Seed Bank/Exchange, that share events and are a space where people can talk about the seeds they have and need.
Do you want more buzzy news like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for our FREE newsletter.