I love Birmingham because there’s always something exciting happening, like these businesses coming to town. From an eclectic cocktail bar to heart-racing mountain bike trails, read on to learn all about what’s open and coming soon to The Magic City.
1. The House of Found Objects | Downtown
Counting down the days until I can get a cocktail here. (Nathan Watson / Bham Now)
I think it’s fair to say that Birmingham is absolutely pumped for this cocktail bar. The House of Found Objects‘ doors are finally opening on Wednesday, November 16th at 4PM. Along with countless objects scattered artfully around the bar, owner Feizal Valli is recreating the unique atmosphere of The Atomic—of course, he’s bringing back the signature “Legendary Sex Panther” cocktail.
“It’s not just the drinks you’re experiencing here. Every seat is a different experience, on a sensory level. If you sit in the double booths, you have phones that are hooked up to play loops of different televangelists. When you’re in the front in the Jungle Room, you’re transported to waterfalls and birds. When you’re in the Listening Room, you’re listening to music on your headphones. You can warm up at the Fireplace Table. At the Elvis Table, you are Elvis Presley eating peanut butter and banana sandwiches.”Feizal Valli, Owner, The House of Found Objects
- Location: 2205 2nd Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Hours: Wednesday + Thursday, 4PM–Midnight | Friday + Saturday, 4PM-2AM
- Contact: Instagram
2. AmStar 14 | Alabaster
This movie theater just got a big makeover—we’re talking about $3.75M in major renovations at AmStar 14 Alabaster. Renovations included a new premium large format auditorium called GPX, which stands for Grand Premium Experience, with:
- Biggest and brightest screen with 4K laser projection
- Immersive Dolby Atmos® sound
- Luxurious recliner seating
With lavish features like that, you’ll want to munch on some popcorn and watch the film you’ve been anticipating on the big screen.
3. The Farmers Market at Brock’s Gap | Hoover
I’m a sucker for a farmer’s market—all of the food TikToks on my feed are inspiring me to be a farm-to-table chef at home. Luckily, the Hoover area is getting one starting in January 2023. There will be an abundance of local farmers and artisans. If you’re interested in becoming a vendor at The Farmers Market at Brock’s Gap, be sure to register for the 2023 market—check out their Facebook page for upcoming application information.
4. RideBHAM | Red Mountain Park
Home to 11 world-class downhill mountain biking trails for various skill levels, RideBHM is officially opening soon thanks to the partnership of Red Mountain Park and a group called Ride Resorts. Whether you’re a total novice or a skilled expert, we think you should head to RideBHM’s grand opening on Saturday, November 19 from 2-5PM. This afternoon will be jam-packed with adventure and fun, including:
- An airbag (for practicing tricks safely)
- Bike demos from Cahaba Cycles, Max Power Sports + Huntsville-based Mullet Cycles
- Food truck
- Trick competition
“One of our goals is to throw the best parties in Birmingham. Another one is to have an inclusive environment that’s welcoming for people regardless of their background or ability level. So come get rowdy at the Grand Opening! Spectator passes are free or bring your bike, get a day pass and start shredding now! We guarantee you’ll have fun or your money back.”Emile Hughes, Co-Founder, Ride Resorts
- Location: 2800 Portofino Drive, Birmingham, AL 35211
- Hours: Friday-Sunday 10AM-6PM
- Contact: Website | Instagram
5. Uptown Jazz | Downtown
Music lovers, this opening is the spot for you. (Nathan Watson / Bham Now)
It’s official—jazz is back in Bham at Uptown Jazz. Located right next to CityWalk BHAM, this lounge is hosting live jazz performances, plus open mic nights, karaoke and spoken word performances. While you’re listening to the smooth sounds, you can sip on beer, wine and craft cocktails from the full bar.
“We want to extend an invitation to the whole Birmingham Metro Area to join us in listening to great music with good vibes. Jazz has been missing in Birmingham for nearly a decade, so it’s time to come enjoy everything you’ve been missing!”Rod Conwell, Owner, Uptown Jazz
Curious about the talented performers playing at Uptown Jazz? Sign up for their newsletter to see who will be on stage.
- Location: 2250-B 9th Ave. N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Hours: Tuesday–Thursday 5PM- Midnight | Friday – Saturday 5PM-2AM | Sunday 1-9PM
- Contact: Website | Facebook | Instagram
6. Mama Coco Cantina & Grill | Vestavia Hills
My stomach is grumbling at the thought of enchiladas and chips and queso, so I’ll be heading to Mama Coco. First started in Calera, the second location in Vestavia Hills is now open and ready to fill you up with delicious Mexican food. You can start your meal with some guacamole, chow down on a chimichanga and satisfy your sweet tooth with a churro.
- Location: 1088 Montgomery Hwy, Vestavia Hills, AL 35216
- Hours: Sunday-Wednesday 11AM-9PM | Thursday-Saturday 11AM-10PM
- Contact: Website | Facebook
7. Shoe Station | Vestavia Hills
My closet is brimming with maybe too many shoes, but you bet I’ll be heading to Shoe Station for a new pair. Opening on Friday, November 18, you can score big savings on the brands you love like Adidas and Birkenstocks. Plus, you can snag amazing prizes during the grand opening weekend like tickets to the Iron Bowl and gift cards.
- Location: 652 Montgomery Hwy, Vestavia Hills, AL 35216
- Hours: Monday-Saturday 9AM-9PM | Sunday 11AM-7PM
- Contact: Website | Facebook | Instagram