Big changes are coming this weekend—temperatures are predicted to fall below freezing in Birmingham. Here’s everything you need to know, including warming stations for those needing shelter.
City of Birmingham will open a warming station
In response to the freezing weather coming our way this weekend, the City of Birmingham will partner with Jimmie Hale Mission to open a warming station to the public.
- When: Saturday, November 12 and Sunday, November 13 | 7PM-7AM
- Where: 3420 2nd Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Food, a shower trailer and flu shots will be provided
In collaboration with One Roof, those needing warm shelter should also reach out to:
- The Salvation Army, 2015 26th Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35234
- Firehouse Shelter (for men), 626 2nd Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- First Light (for women), 2230 4th Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
Preparing for the cold
Be sure to tune into your favorite weather forecasters and traffic reporters + follow them on social media to keep up with the latest weather news.
“This weekend we’ll have a strong cold front in the wake of Nicole, which will bring a significant drop in temperatures compared to earlier in the week. This will be our second freeze of the season so far, with lows in the upper 20/low30s. The cold weather fans will certainly enjoy!”Wes Wyatt, Chief Meteorologist , WBRC FOX 6
Here are a few of our fave tips and tricks to prepare for the chilly temps:
- 7 ways to keep your plants from dying this winter
- 5 tips to keep your pets warm this winter
- Stay warm with these 20 fall comfort foods in Bham
- How to help people who are houseless this winter
Want more stories like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for our FREE newsletter!