The leaves are falling, the temperature will be dropping soon (hopefully) and the sun is setting earlier. We’ve got ya covered with 20 fall comfort foods in Birmingham to keep you in high spirits as the cold approaches. Keep reading to find out which ones made our list.
Nothing beats a warm bowl of chili on a chilly fall day. Whether you prefer chicken or beef in your chili, here are the best places in town to indulge.
- Diplomat Deli | Bowl/Cup of Chili | served seasonally starting in September
- Jim ‘N Nick’s BBQ | Famous Brisket Chili | homemade chili made with our smoked brisket
- SAW’s BBQ | Chili Stuffed Taters | baker + green onions, homemade chili
- Olexa’s | White Chicken Chili | served in a bowl or cup
BONUS: For even more chili in Birmingham check out this article.
Picture this: it’s a brisk 40 degrees outside and you come home to some hot soup from your favorite restaurant. That is what I call the perfect evening.
- Paramount | Creamy Tomato Soup | mixed greens & toasted sourdough
- Brick + Tin | Butternut squash or Mushroom soup
- Birmingham Breadworks | Cream of tomato soup | tomatoes, smoked paprika and cream, vegetarian-friendly
- Bistro Two Eighteen | Hellefied Filé Gumbo | Shrimp, Andouille Sausage, Crawfish
BONUS: For even more soups check out this article.
There is nothing more universal than a casserole. Whether you like meat, cheese or vegetables in your casserole, we’ve got you covered. Check out these delicious casserole meals served at your favorite Birmingham restaurants:
- Ted’s Restaurant | Squash Casserole & Broccoli Casserole | served on Tuesday + Thursday
- Dale’s Southern Grill | Broccoli Rice & Cheese Casserole
- Ashley Mac’s | Breakfast Casserole | country sausage, sharp cheddar, eggs, croissants
- Audrey’s Restaurant | Squash Casserole | yellow and green squash sauteed with peppers and onions, then baked with three cheeses and topped with cornbread
There is nothing more versatile than a pile of potatoes. You can smash them, bake them or fry them—there is something for everyone to enjoy when it comes to potatoes.
- Helen | Yukon Gold Potatoes | sea salt, dill, crème fraiche
- Real & Rosemary | Sweet Potato Wedges | served with lemongrass dipping sauce
- Rib-It-Up | BBQ Loaded Potato | pork or chicken, sour cream, butter cheese, bacon bits and chives
- Potatoe Potahtoz | Spinach & Cheese Potatoe | fresh spinach, red sauce, with melted pepper jack cheese
Mac & Cheese
Mac & Cheese is a southern delicacy that satisfies both adults and kids. Nothing beats warm gooey Mac on a chilly day.
- The Southern Kitchen + Bar | Ribeye Mac & Cheese
- John’s City Diner | Not your Mama’s Mac & Cheese | Our original homemade macaroni and cheese with imported cheeses and prosciutto
- Cajun Steamer Bar + Grill | Crawfish Mac N’ Cheese | Louisiana crawfish baked with creamy cheddar sauce, rotini pasta, spicy bacon & Creole tomatoes topped with a Zapp’s Voodoo chip crumble
- MELT | Mac Melt | house-made mac & cheese in a grilled cheese served on texas toast
BONUS: Find more mouth-watering mac & cheese places in this article.