Create Birmingham, in partnership with CreateHubs and The Birmingham Public Library, just launched The Comic Strip Challenge. The Challenge will be a monthly comic strip competition and publication for the residents of Jefferson County to try and promote people’s interest in the creative industry. Read on for contest details.
- All entries must either reside in or attend school in Jefferson County. Submissions are due the first Friday of every month by 11:59 CST.
- Contest winners will have their work shared in Create Birmingham’s newsletter and on social media.
- The contest will be divided into the three following age ranges: 8-12, 13-16 and 17+.
- There is no entry fee required.
- Winners will be announced the third week of each month, with one winner for each of the three age ranges.
- Winners will receive cash prizes ranging from $25-$100.
Access to the Birmingham Public Library
To ensure everyone has the chance to compete in the contest, the Birmingham Public Library Central Branch will provide a free and accessible creative space to whoever needs it. The space will be open Monday-Friday between 9AM-6PM and will include services such as printing, scanning and internet access.
Visit Birmingham Public Library Central Branch’s creative space at 2100 Park Pl.
Online resources for artists
There are many online resources future comic creators can familiarize themselves with such as online forums. Some include Tapas and Reddit.
For those seeking to work with digital art, programs such, here are some paid programs:
There are also a number of free alternatives including:
Both the paid-for and free programs are industry standards for many comic creators and are often employed by artists who have work featured at big companies like DC, Marvel and Image.
Tutorials for each of these programs can be found on sites such as YouTube. Other resources comic creators might enjoy are:
Are you as pumped as we are for this comic contest? Give us a yell @Bham Now!