On Wednesday, June 29, the City of Birmingham held a press conference regarding road closures and security perimeters near UAB and Bessie Estell Park ahead of The World Games 2022 (TWG2022). Read on to plan your alternative route during the week of TWG2022 events.
The World Games 2022 Preparation
With an event as big as TWG2022, the City of Birmingham and public safety officials are taking supersized precautions to ensure everything runs as smoothly as possible by enforcing road closures and security perimeters.
“Working with the public has been one of the key things in preparation for the event.”Rick Journey, Director of Communications, City of Birmingham
Road Closures Going into Effect
Rick Journey, Director of Communications for the City of Birmingham, announced the following:
- Public works and transportation workers will begin staging road closures and securing perimeters on July 2 and will continue to do so over the weekend.
- Areas South of 20/59 and access to CityWalk will be closed July 5-17.
- There will be rolling closures for certain locations and events on July 10-11 and July 16-17.
- There will be a security checkpoint for delivery drivers near 19th Street and Carraway Boulevard and designated times of entry for trucks like 18-wheelers.
- There will be a designated rideshare parking lot that will be located on 22nd St N for company drivers of Uber, Lyft and independent taxi service companies.
- People are encouraged to Ride the Line—the free transportation service available during The World Games 2022.
There will be heightened security presence during The World Games and the city’s police department is prepared. They will partner with 50 local agencies to serve as security for the event as well as patrolling surrounding areas.
Bessie Estell Park and Glen Iris
Roads near Bessie Estell Park and Glen Iris will be closed July 12-15 due to events held at or within proximity of the area. They include:
- The block of 8th Street South and 9th Avenue South (9th Avenue South is blocked, not 8th Street at this point)
- 8th Street South just South of University Blvd.
- 8th Street and Northern entrance to St. Elias Church (Only one side of the parking lot will be blocked, access is still available
- 10th Street South and 9th Court South
- 9th Court South and 9th Street South
- 11th Street South and University Blvd. (11th Street is blocked off, not University Blvd.)
- 12th Street South and University Blvd. (12th Street is blocked off, not University Blvd.)
- Entrance to surface parking lots south of UAB Softball Field off 10th Avenue South
UAB Road Closure Map
The roads that will be closed near UAB are:
- University Blvd in front of UAB Campus Green-East bound lane has one lane closed only, closure ends at 16th Street South
- 16th Street South and University Blvd
- 9th Avenue South and 17th Street South
- 17th Street South and 10th Avenue South
- 16th Street South and 10th Avenue South
“Know Before You Go”
City officials push for commuters, residents and event goers to “know before you go” so that any hiccups or mistakes can be avoided.
Here is an additional resource for additional maps of road closures that were released this May.
For more information about road closures and permitted vehicular access, text BHAMREADY to 888777 or visit the BHAM Ready website.
Are you ready, Birmingham? The World Games 2022 are almost here.
Want to stay updated on news like this? Subscribe to Bham Now’s newsletter TODAY!