The temps are climbing in Bham, but the fun doesn’t stop. Keep reading for seven of our favorite ways to have a good time in The Magic City without spending too much time in the heat!
1. Skate it out
Ice-skating, roller-skating, skateboarding…whatever is your jam—Birmingham has it. Stay out of the heat and head to one of our skate rinks/parks for an exciting way to spend a summer day.
- Pelham Ice Rink
- Location: 500 Amphitheater Rd, Pelham, AL 35124
- Hours: Check schedule for public skating times
- Skates 280
- Location: 7043 Meadowlark Dr, Birmingham, AL 35242
- Hours: Friday 12-10:30PM (All Ages), 10:30-11PM (18 & Older) | Saturday 12-10:30PM (All Ages), 10:30PM-12:00AM (18 & Older) | Sunday 2-10PM (All Ages)
- Website | Facebook
- City Walk Skate Park
- Location: 1706 9th Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Hours: Monday–Friday 12-10PM | Saturday–Sunday 9AM-10PM
2. Grab a cold treat
There’s no sweeter treat during summer than a cold scoop of ice cream or a fruity sorbet. We love a sweet dessert any time of year, but especially when its keeping us cool on hot summer days. That means it’s healthy, right?
- Hours: 12-10PM daily
- Edgewood Creamery
- Location: 936 Oxmoor Rd, Birmingham, AL 35209
- Hours: 2–10:30PM daily
3. Learn something new
Learn something new at one of Birmingham’s museums! If you haven’t made your way to Barber Motorsports Museum yet, it’s a must. A visually stunning museum, there are usually around 1000 motorcycles are on display. For the artsier folks, Birmingham Museum of Art’s ever changing galleries are always a sight to see.
- Birmingham Museum of Art
- Hours: Tuesday–Saturday 10AM–5PM | Sunday 12–5PM
- Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum
- Hours: Monday-Saturday 10AM–6PM | Sunday 12-6PM
4. Catch a movie or a show
Stay out of the heat for a few hours and catch a movie or a play. Red Mountain Theatre always has an exciting show lined up. (Cinderella is coming soon!)
- IMAX at the McWane Center
- Location: 200 19th St N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Check calendar for showtimes
- Red Mountain Theatre
- Location: 1600 3rd Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
- Check calendar for showtimes
5. Enjoy a live concert
Nothing screams summer more than a good ole’ concert. Birmingham is full of (indoor!) venues to enjoy some of the best concerts without having to sit through the heat.
- Iron City
- Location: 513 22nd St S, Birmingham, AL 35233
- Lyric Theatre
- Location: 1800 3rd Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
6. Sip on a cold brew
You know we love a good brewery here at Bham Now. We’ll take any excuse to cool off with our favorite brew.
- Back Forty Beer Company
- Location: 3201 1st Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Ghost Train
- Avondale Brewing
- Location: 201 41st St S, Birmingham, AL 35222
7. Cool off with a frozen cocktail
Rising temps are the perfect reason to induldge in an ice cold cocktail. So many of our favorite bars have frozen drink selections for the summer season.
- Queen’s Park
- Location: 112 24th St N #102, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Hours: 4PM-12AM daily
- Website | Instagram | Facebook
- Neon Moon
- Location: 2316 2nd Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203