The Foundry Ministries is a Birmingham-based resource for those recovering from addiction. Read on for more about how you can get involved with their mission, plus see their work in action with a video from their recent graduation celebration.
The Foundry Ministries works to change lives
Since 1971, The Foundry has been serving the Birmingham community. Through their faith-based recovery program, they give men and women the tools they need to break the chains of addiction.
So, what does the support look like? Recovery participants receive daily counseling and education, in addition to safe and clean housing, employment opportunities, Bible study, community outreach opportunities and more.
Heather describes her life before The Foundry as, “chaotic, dark and gloomy with much separation from the people she truly loved”. On February 2, 2021, that all began to change. She faced a “complete 180” to her lifestyle as she entered The Foundry.
Heather had previously been incarcerated due to charges related to drug trafficking, and was furloughed to The Foundry—something she now sees as an incredible blessing, as it provided an opportunity for her to find God and reclaim her purpose in life.
“It’s about what you get inside The Foundry, and the tools they give you. They give you great life experience and useful tools to support you through the process… it’s a lot to take in. When you first walk in the doors, you’re doing a complete 180 from your typical lifestyle.”—Heather, participant, The Foundry
On a new path
Fast forward to April 24, 2022, when Heather celebrated her graduation from The Foundry’s program. She is an entirely new version of herself. She’s gainfully employed with a local outreach program, Family Connection, Inc., and has the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others while sharing her testimony daily.
She’s rebuilt relationships with the most important people in her life, and is rooted in her faith.
“I’ve reconnected with many people that always have my back, and who truly loved me for the right reasons. I have exonerated the people that were unhealthy for me, and I have the Lord in my life. He’s my guiding force, and that’s the most important thing for me.”—Heather, participant, The Foundry
How to get involved with The Foundry
Want to be a part of this meaningful, life-changing work happening right here in Birmingham? There are a number of volunteer opportunities available now, including:
- Host Weekend Fellowship: Create a fun weekend activity for program participants, like sponsoring a trip to the movies, hosting a cookout at Oak Mountain State Park, or planning a bowling night.
- Lead a Drive: Lead a drive to collect items needed to support the ministry. Contact Brandy Suns for a complete list of needs.
- Discipleship Program: Guide program participants through their time at The Foundry by becoming a Mentor.
- Teach a Skill: Teach a new skill! Things like jewelry making, woodworking and gardening are just a few skills participants would benefit from.
- Join the Leadership Breakfast: Join UAB Head Coach Bill Clark for a special Leadership Breakfast—see sponsorship opportunities.