I must admit that while I have always been a sports fan and love watching athletic events live, I have never experienced a professional soccer—pardon, fútbol match before. I’ve seen the excitement of the international phenomenon as an outsider, but the Birmingham Legion FC home opener on March 13th vs. the Tampa Bay Rowdies was my first immersive experience. Let me tell you…it was everything I hoped for and more!
Before I get into what you can expect, here are the details on the Legion’s next home game this Saturday.
- When: Saturday, March 26th 6:30pm
- Where: Protective Stadium 1020 24th St N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Ticket Info Ticket prices range from $7 per ticket to $55
**Cool Event + Special Deal Alert**
Tonight (March 24th) at Good People Brewing Co, the Birmingham Legion will be in attendance for the USA Men’s National Soccer Team (USMNT) vs. Mexico World Cup Qualifying Game Watch Party at 7pm (Game starts at 9pm).
***They will be giving away new T-shirts + other prizes! Also, anyone that wears Legion gear and US gear/colors to the game on Saturday can get onto the field after the game for a picture!
1. Cheer On + Support The Most Elite Soccer Players In The Sport
Launched in 2018 as an expansion member of the USL Championship, Birmingham Legion FC is the Magic City’s first and only locally-owned and operated professional soccer franchise. Our players come from all over the World including Brazil, Ghana, Senegal, Croatia, Uruguay, Haiti and others. Let me tell you from an up-close experience—they are really good!
2. The Magic City Brigade
These self-proclaimed Legion fanatics provide so much fun & atmosphere to the match with their drum-banging, whistling, horn-blowing, singing and razzing on the opponents—especially the opposing goal keeper. The Brigade is a constant (literally drum-banging the entire match) source of encouragement for our players + entertainment for our fans.
3. Surprise Special Celebrity Guests
The last home match featured a halftime “shootout’ with several celebs, including Alabama football great running back, Trent Richardson, Alabama native and musical artist Mooski, comedian Funny Maine and the guys from SEC Shorts + JAMZ FM’s Nu York. Come see which celebrities you can see next!
4. New Digs at Protective Stadium
The latest Birmingham venue, Protective Stadium is now hosting our own Legion FC. It features brand new seating and a state of the art Jumbo-tron scoreboard and much more. It will also be a venue for the upcoming 2022 World Games July 7-17th.
5. Specialized Food & Beverages!
What’s an outing without the most delicious food & beverage options available to satisfy your cravings!
- The Sloss Dog
- Sloss Smokehouse BBQ Nachos
- Short Rib Philly
- Local Food trucks: Yo’ Mama’s Shrimp & Grits and Broad Street Peaux Boys
- Assorted local beers from Ghost Train Brewing Company, Back Forty Beer Company, TrimTab Brewing, Cahaba Brewing Co, Avondale Brewing Company and Good People Brewing Company + more
- Magic Dragon Cocktail: handmade local strawberry-lemon syrup, mixed with Dread River vodka and infused with fresh jalapeño and honey vinegar
6. Come for the soccer, stay for the skirmishes
To say soccer players and fans are passionate about the game is an understatement. It’s one of the elements which makes it so exciting + entertaining. Whether it’s a red card or yellow card for tripping, tackling, holding, a player tussle or a bad call from the ref—there are emotions aplenty at a game.
7. Meet the Players + Get Autographs
Now that we’ve convinced you, go get your tickets now!