Sybil Walker has been working in banking for 27 years. She’s currently a Wealth Support Specialist at Truist, and loves being able to give back to the community through the company’s annual Lighthouse project. Here is her story.
Meet Sybil Walker, Wealth Support Specialist at Truist
Sybil Walker has many gifts, including gardening, teaching, community service and banking.
She grew up on a farm in Wetumpka, where the only things her family had to buy from the market were blueberries, oranges and lemons.
Now, she works in Truist’s Wealth department and lives in Adamsville, Alabama.
Fun facts about Sybil, by the numbers:
- 27 years of financial service experience in the banking industry, where she’s been able to serve roles ranging from teller to Wealth Support Specialist
- 28 years married to husband Darryl Walker
- 2 children, ages 30 and 26 + 1 daughter-in-law
- 2011: the year she graduated Magna Cum Laude from Miles College with a BS in Communications
Making a difference in the community: Truist’s Lighthouse Project
When she’s not working, teaching at her church or playing in the garden, you’ll find Sybil out in the community, touching people’s lives in countless ways.
Truist shares her commitment to giving back to the community. One of the ways they do this is through an annual Lighthouse Project, where employees choose a community project where they can provide hands-on help.
Here are just a few of the projects Sybil’s been involved with:
2015-2022: The Foundry’s Adopt-a-Table Program
Truist sponsors 10 men who are part of The Foundry’s Recovery Program, providing them a 5-star dining experience.
2017: A.G. Gaston Boys and Girls Clubs
Truist worked on a Teaching Garden Revitalization Project, where they taught the children how to plant a garden.
2018-2020: Central Park Elementary School Samaritan’s Feet
Volunteers washed each child’s feet, then gave them new socks and shoes.
2021: A.G. Gaston Boys and Girls Clubs
During COVID, they packed backpacks from home for the Boys and Girls Clubs.
“I love working in the community and do so through my church. To also be able to get involved through an organization that provides the funding for me and offers me paid hours to do it means I’m able to get more involved and stay connected. I get to provide hope for young people and others through an organization that invests in me and in the community because they care.”Sybil Walker
What Sybil loves about working at Truist
I’m always amazed when I hear about someone working at one place for decades and want to know why they love it.
Here’s some of what Sybil loves:
- The amazing team of people she works with.
- The client base they serve—working in Wealth, she enjoys hearing about clients’ journeys to financial freedom.
- Growing knowledge—for example, Wealth Advisors are always willing to share their knowledge of what they do with clients, and this helps those relationships grow.
Opportunities for advancement—Truist likes to promote from within, which gives people the chance to grow and develop without having to look elsewhere.
Looking for a place to grow a career + a life you love? Truist is hiring.