Read Time 3 Minutes
For a burst of mood sunshine, hurry and dive in to these weekend events happening around Birmingham, September 17-19.
This Weekend in The Magic City
You’ll find me at the museum!
Did you know—Saturday, September 18 is Museum Day? Yep, on this special day, get free admission to a variety of museums in Birmingham and beyond. Here’s which museums are participating.
Beauty behind bars
A major exhibit opens Friday, September 17 at UAB’s Abrome-Engel Institute of the Visual Arts (AEIVA). Titled Marking Time: Art in the Age of Mass Incarceration, it features art created by people in prison and works by non-incarcerated artists concerned with state repression, erasure and imprisonment. Find out who the Birmingham-based artists included in the exhibit are + more. Register to attend—now-December 11, 2021.
Conserve + protect
Saturday, September 18 marks World Water Monitoring Day, a time to do your part to protect our water sources. To help bring public awareness and commitment to water conservation to the Birmingham community, McWane Science Center is hosting special programming on this important day. Buy your tickets in advance.
More to Discover
- Friday-Sunday, September 17-19: 41 new home listings with RealtySouth.
- Friday, September 17: Black Jacket Symphonoy Presents: Pink Floyd’s The Wall @ The BJCC. 8PM. Price varies. Tickets.
- Saturday, September 18: Paws for the Cause 5K & 1 Mile Tail Waggin’ Trek @ Spain Park Sports Complex. 8:30AM. 5K – $30, Fun Run – $25, Sleep In – $30, Combined 5K/Fun Run – $50. Register.
- Saturday, September 18: Rockfest 2021 @ Ghost Train Brewing Co. Noon-10PM. Admission is free. Register.
- Saturday, September 18: Oktoberfest @ Cahaba Brewing Co. Noon-10PM. Admission is free.
- Sunday, September 19: Earthbound’s Earthfest benefiting Black Warrior Riverkeeper @ Avondale Brewing Co.2-8PM. $5 suggested donation.
- Sunday, September 19: Together in Teal Butterfly Release @ Vulcan Park & Museum. 3:30-5PM. $5. Tickets.
- Sunday, September 19: ASOM (Alabama Symphony Orchestra Musicians) presents Our Hearts Beat for Birmingham @ Greater Emmanuel Temple Holiness Church. 3PM. FREE.
- Sunday, September 19: Latinos Con Onda VOL VII @ Ghost Train Brewing Co. 4PM-Midnight. $10.
Lace up those kicks
Did you know September is GYN Cancer Awareness Month? We have an amazing way for you to show your support—the Head Over Teal 5K/10K. Taking place on Saturday, September 25 at 8AM at The Preserve in Hoover, your participation will help raise awareness and funds to provide GYN cancer programs to women, patients and caregivers. Ready to show off those nerves of teal? 💪🏼 Register now.
- Monday, September 20: Children’s of Alabama Onsite Nursing Career Fair @ Bradley Conference Center. 9AM-Noon. Sign up for onsite interview.
- Wednesday-Saturday, September 22-25: Pollution Prevention Week @ McWane Science Center. Wed-Fri 9AM-5PM, Sat 10AM-5PM. Price varies. Tickets.
- Tuesday, September 21: ASOM (Alabama Symphony Orchestra Musicians) presents Our Hearts Beat for Birmingham @ Canterbury United Methodist Church. 7:30PM. FREE.
- Thursday-Saturday, September 23-Saturday: Saint George Middle Eastern Food Festival @ Saint George Greek-Catholic Melkite Church. 10:30AM-9PM.
- Friday, September 24: Wish Night benefiting Make-A-Wish Alabama @ Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort. 6PM. Tickets.
- Friday-Sunday, September 24-26: Arts & Crafts Festival @ Homestead Hollow. 9AM-5PM. $4-$6.
- Friday-Sunday, September 24-26: Human Rights New Works Festival with Red Mountain Theatre @ Discovery Theatre. 8PM + 2PM. $10. Tickets.