Summer is here and Birmingham’s McWane Science Center is kicking it off with a bang. From LEGO Day on Saturday, June 12 to F9: The Fast Saga in IMAX, find out what’s ahead this June.
LEGO Day wows guests, Saturday, June 12
Are you ready for the most exciting and imaginative event this summer? Then visit McWane on Saturday, June 12 for LEGO Day. Intrigued already, huh? I sure am!
Located on the third level of McWane’s Adventure Halls, you’ll find everything you need to create, design and build the LEGO creations of your dreams.
- Dig into the many bins of colorful bricks in every shape and size.
- Create your masterpiece at one of the many building stations.
- Discover mind-blowing LEGO sculptures designed by Birmingham locals of all ages.
- Visit the car building station and design a race car that can withstand a mega jump ramp.
Plan to stay awhile because LEGO Day offers hours of entertainment for all ages, and it won’t be easy to stop the fun.
Can’t get enough LEGO?
Visit McWane’s IMAX Theatre to see The Batman Lego movie. This is the only place in Birmingham where you can see Lego Batman save Gotham from Lego Joker’s hostile takeover on a larger-than-life screen—don’t miss your chance! Catch the show Friday, June 11-Sunday, June 13 at 2:15 and 4:30PM.
Tickets to the IMAX Theatre are available online and at McWane.
More Summer Thrills at the IMAX
LEGO superheroes aren’t the only thing causing a stir on the big screen at McWane’s IMAX Theatre. Here’s what else awaits you this June:
- Ancient Caves: discover the worlds most astounding caves above and below sea level.
- Explore Antarctica: discover the coolest, driest and windiest place on Earth with the roughest oceans and the strangest, most amazing creatures.
- Star Trek (2009): the fate of the galaxy rests in the hands of bitter vitals James Kirk and Spock. Will the crew make it through unimaginable danger and restore order? On screen Friday-Sunday, June 18-20 at 2:15PM + 4:30PM.
- F9: The Fast Saga: a crew of racers tries to stop a world-shattering plot led by the most skilled assassin and high-performance driver they’ve ever encountered. Dates + Times – TBA
Become a Science Adventurer
McWane is known for having a mega list of things to do, but what I love most is that each activity or program offers something new to discover. You can test your strength in a tug of war, see fossils from once living Alabama dinosaurs and even experience virtual reality.
If you’re hoping to excite your kiddo this summer, be sure to pick up a Summer Science Adventure Guide at McWane’s ticket counter and collect badge stickers throughout the museum all summer long.
Become an Ocean Explorer
When it’s H.O.T. outside, venture to the lower level of McWane for a cool adventure at the World of Water. It offers tons to discover including aquariums that home creatures from numerous bodies of water like the Lake Tank, Coral Tank and Cahaba River Tank.
The turtles are my personal favorite. Whether actively swimming about or snoozing while they float, they always offer some cute humor during a visit to McWane.
The coolest part of the World of Water, though, is the Shark + Ray Touch Tank. After months of closure due to the pandemic, the tank is back in action. The question is, do you have the guts to touch a shark or sting ray?
Plan your summer adventure at McWane
- Where: McWane Science Center, 200 19th St N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- When: Wednesday-Friday, 9AM-5PM | Saturday, 10AM-5PM | Sunday, Noon-5PM
- Price: Adventure Halls Only – Adults (13-64) $15, Kids (2-12) $12, Seniors (65+) $14 | IMAX Only – Adults – $9, Kids $8, Seniors $8 | Combo Ticket (Adventure Halls + IMAX) – Adults $20, Kids $15, Seniors $18
- Tickets available here
For all your summer plans follow McWane Science Center’s website and follow them on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.