Read Time 2 Minutes
Are you planning a vacation with friends, family and loved ones? Here are some safe summer travel tips from Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport (BHM).
Increase in Travel Demand
Since travel demand has increased with CDC guidelines lessening some restrictions, BHM wants to ensure all airport workers and travelers are safe and have an easy and convenient experience. Here are their latest tips for summer travel:
- Download your airline’s mobile app for flight updates, boarding pass and more.
- Check for any restrictions for your destination including COVID-19 testing requirements and review CDC guidance for travel.
- Wear face masks and bring multiple. Failure to comply can result in civil penalties.
- Dress for travel. Wear comfortable clothing and easily removable shoes for TSA screening at the checkpoint.
- Start with an empty bag and review TSA’s prohibited items list for both carry-on and checked baggage. If using a baggage lock, use a lock that is TSA approved.
- Pack items in layers (shoes one layer, clothes one layer, electronics one layer, etc.) to help Transportation Security Officers see what’s in your bag.
- Place all medicines and valuables in carry-on baggage.
- Remember TSA’s 3-1-1 guidelines for liquids, gels and aerosols. TSA is allowing passengers to bring liquid hand sanitizer up to 12 oz. in carry-on bags until further notice.
- Remove food items from carry-on bags and place them in bins for screening.
- Declare firearms at check-in. Firearms may only be transported through checked baggage and must be packed properly. Firearms in carry-on bags are prohibited by federal law.
Post Arrival Tips
- Arrive at least 90 minutes prior to departure to allow for parking, luggage check-in and more.
- Park in the parking deck as all on-site parking is consolidated and conveniently located in the parking deck across from the terminal.
- Relax, shop and grab a bite to eat as airlines have limited their food and beverage services.
- Wear a mask that properly covers your mouth and nose.
- Wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer.
- Maintain proper social distance in passenger queue lines.
- Follow CDC guidance and recommendations for vaccinated and unvaccinated people.
- Do not travel if you are sick.
To learn more information on how to travel healthy with BHM, check out these links:
- Ready to Fly – BHM Passenger and Employee Safety Campaign
- Arrivals and Departures
- Ground Transportation
- Airline Contact Information
Planning a trip to New York? Good news! Delta is resuming nonstop flights from Birmingham to New York in June.