Read Time 2 Minutes
The next time you order a Ferus Artisan Ale at the local bar, you will be drinking the first solar powered produced beer in Alabama.
Earlier this month on social media, Eagle Solar & Light, LLC (ESL) displayed photos of the solar power company installing solar panels at the Ferus Artisan Ales Brewery in Trussville (101 Beech St.). This wasn’t a small project. The solar power installation will result in a 125.28 kilowatt rooftop system producing an estimated 168,000 kWh annually.
According to Energy Alabama, Ferus Artisan Ale is the first solar powered brewery in Alabama.
“We’re excited to be the first brewery in Alabama to offer solar-powered craft beers,” says Coby Lake, owner of Ferus Artisan Ales, based in Trussville. “The cost savings coupled with the opportunity to do the right thing for the planet made this project a no-brainer.”
Good for the Environment and Bottomline
According to Eagle Solar & Light, once complete, the project will reduce greenhouse gas pollution and save money. For example:
- Annually, the Ferus Ales solar installation will save the equivalent of 119 metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions.
- Greenhouse gas avoidance for 26 cars
- The solar power system is projected to save Ferus Ales $20,000 in its first year alone, with increased savings as utility rates continue to climb.
“We are thrilled to be working with the Ferus Artisan Ales team, and we applaud their vision and commitment to clean energy,” says Sam Yates, CEO of Eagle Solar & Light. “The project illustrates how solar can help small businesses save money, especially important on the heels of a pandemic.”
Over the years Bham Now has reported on several “first” solar installations by Eagle Solar & Light.
- Altamont School becoming the first solar powered school in Birmingham
- The Store -Alabama’s first solar powered gas station in McCalla
- Summer Classics warehouse and corporate headquarters in Pelham which in 2018 was home to the largest privately owned solar panel installation in Alabama
Of course installing solar panels for a brewery does have its benefits.
“We hear that the Ferus Artisan Ales are among the best around. After days in the sun installing the panels, our team looks forward to celebrating by sampling some; a perk, you might say, of the job,” continued Yates.