Read Time 1 Minutes
Renovations to the historic Hinkle Brothers Building at 2400 5th Avenue South in Birmingham are complete. Read on for an inside peek.
The history of Hinkle Brothers
Originally built in 1924, the two-story, 40,200 square foot building is nearly a century old. When built, the city was rapidly growing due to its pivotal role in America’s Steel industry.
The building first housed Hinkle Brothers Company—hence the name—which supplied roofing, sheet metal and furnaces. No wonder it played a prominent role in the Steel City’s boom in the 20s.
Over the years, the building has housed a number of tenants like:
- Bonds Brothers Supply Co.
- Cleveland Manufacturing Co.
- Greeson Auto Top Co.
Instead of tearing down the Hinkle Brothers Building, it was renovated to allow for historic elements to remain. Some include:
- Exposed brick
- Historic loading doors
- Press tin ceilings
- Wide plank hardwood floors
- Wood beam construction
The result—a vibe of modern meets industrial.
“Seeing a historic building like the Hinkle Brothers building rejuvenated as part of our city center is particularly rewarding. We’re so glad we were able to hold on to so many of the elements that make this building historic.”Jeffery Brewer, CEO, GMC
A renewed history
In 2020, the building was redeveloped by commercial real estate firm Colliers International, Stone Building and architecture and engineering firm Goodwyn Bills Cawood (GMC).
Located at 2400 5th Avenue South, the building has played a role in the continued redevelopment of downtown Birmingham.
Centrally located, it’s walking distance between two popular neighborhoods—the Lakeview District and Five Points South—and it’s also close to city hot spots like Railroad Park and the Rotary Trail.