Recently, US News & World Report released their list of best global universities for infectious diseases. On a list made up of nearly 1,500 institutions, across 86 countries, the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) can be found high on the list at #37. Here’s a look at how Alabama’s largest employer earned their spot among some of the top universities in the world.
UAB is constantly impressing us with their research and efforts. Above all, it’s their healthcare workers that are true superheroes—minus the cape, of course. But while a lot of us in Birmingham know just how hard UAB works to keep our community healthy, it’s always impressive to see them get national and international accolades.
So how did UAB make it so far up the international list of best global universities for infectious diseases?
The overall goal of the list is to allow people to see how universities compare globally. The criteria for the list is more than my brain can comprehend, but it helps with things like:
- Students looking to enroll in universities who want to know the schools’ academic research and overall reputation
- Providing insight on how US universities stand globally
- Making universities become more visible on a global stage and exposing them to potential collaboration opportunities with others
With an overall score of 66.5 out of 100, UAB’s recognition is well deserved, especially with their response to COVID-19. As soon as the virus was considered a pandemic, UAB went into full force to help fight the virus.
We’ve followed UAB along the way while they were leading vaccine development and, of course, during the groundbreaking day they received the much-anticipated Pfizer vaccine. With all of their accomplishments, we’re not surprised to see them leading in infectious disease efforts.
Want a complete rundown of how UAB made it to #37 on the best global universities list? Find it here.
While we’re here, we might as well plug UAB’s other national accolades.
- U.S. News and World Report ranks UAB Hospital No. 1 in Alabama and one of the best hospitals in the nation
- UAB Hospital named top hospital in Alabama with eight specialty programs nationally ranked
- UAB named one of the best hospitals in U.S. by Healthgrades