Read Time 4 Minutes
If you’re cleaning out for the new year or looking for more ways to shop secondhand in 2021, you’ll want to check out these six local thrift stores in and around Birmingham. The best part? Each have amazing selections AND important missions you can support simply by shopping or donating.
King’s Home is one of my favorite thrift stores to visit in the area. They do a wonderful job of keeping items organized and their stores clean. From clothes and shoes to decor and home goods, they stock a great selection of secondhand items. 100% of every purchase and donation goes towards supporting abused youth, women, and adult moms with kids in need.
Bonus: Mark your calendars! The entire inventory at all three locations will be 50% off on January 1st.
- Locations: Eastwood — 1569 Cooper Hill Road, Irondale, AL 35210 | Hanceville — 306 Main Street SE, Hanceville, AL 35077 | Pinson — 4496 Center Point Road, Birmingham, AL 35215
- Hours: Mon-Sat 8AM-8PM (shopping) + 8AM-5PM (donating) *for all locations
- Better Bin Locations | Schedule a Pickup
Lovelady’s mission is to empower women through faith-based initiatives so they can reenter society and support themselves. Both thrift stores help them continue to support women in our community. They have racks of clothes, shelves of home goods and a ton of unique furniture finds.
- Locations: Irondale — 7720 Ludington Lane, Irondale, AL 35210 | Clay — 2402 Old Springville Road, Birmingham, AL 35215
- Hours: Mon-Sat 9AM-9PM *for both locations
- Call for Irondale Pickup | Call for Clay Pickup | Schedule a Pickup
3. The Foundry
The Foundry’s selection of secondhand items is vast and includes new and gently used items. From household necessities to trendy clothing and accessories, there’s something for everyone and every budget.
The Foundry has an array of programs to help folks in our community through addiction, food insecurity and more. Shopping or donating to their thrift stores is a great way to support the important work they do in and around Birmingham.
Bonus: Each week at all locations they have colored tag sales with deals of 25%, 50%, and 80% off select items.
- Locations: Cullman — 1636 2nd Ave SW, Cullman, AL 35055 | Fairfield — 6550 Aaron Aronov Dr, Fairfield, AL 35064 | Pelham — 3592 Pelham Pkwy, Alabaster, AL 35007
- Hours: Cullman + Fairfield — Mon-Sat 10AM-6PM | Pelham — Mon-Sat 9AM-9PM
- Orange Box Locations | Schedule a Pickup
4. Vapor Thrift
Vapor Thrift has a little bit of everything, but their home decor always catches my eye. I’m always impressed with how the stores are organized and love seeing how they display their most unique items. When you donate or shop with Vapor Thrift, you are helping people and communities all over the world. Read more about Vapor Ministries and their mission. P.S. They’re also hiring—Apply online here.
- Locations: Vestavia — 1069 Montgomery Hwy, Vestavia Hills, AL 35216 | Greystone — 5443 Hwy 280, Birmingham, AL 35242
- Hours: Mon-Sat 9AM-6PM *for booth locations
- What to Donate | Drop off a Drive-Thru Donation or Schedule a Pickup
5. Coming Soon: The Friendship Circle’s Upscale Resale Store
The Friendship Circle is a local nonprofit that “provides children with special needs a full range of social recreational experiences, provide their parents with respite and support, enrich, inspire and motivate teens through sharing of themselves with others.”
They recently announced their latest project: an upscale resale women’s boutique where they will provide employment opportunities and work skill training for adults with disabilities. They’ll occupy 1,000 square feet in the Levite Jewish Community Center and offer name-brand apparel, vintage clothing, accessories, handbags, shoes, jewelry and more. Follow them on Instagram for updates on their opening.
- Location: Levite JCC of Birmingham — 3960 Montclair Rd, Birmingham, AL 35213
- Call or text 347.678.4878 OR email email@example.com to schedule a pickup
If you’re cleaning out, consider donating to an Alabama Goodwill store. Each donation helps them continue their mission to create employment opportunities for folks in our area. They have multiple locations around Birmingham with greeters ready to assist you.
- Locations: Visit their site for a full list of locations + hours
- What to Donate | Read more on the services they provide here
Want to visit more secondhand shops in Birmingham? Check out these recent guides to local antique, consignment and vintage shops in the Magic City:
- 5 antique + consignment shops to visit in Birmingham
- Make your home beautiful with vintage pieces from these 9 shops, including Stash Bham