Less than three hours away from Birmingham lies a picturesque Southern snowglobe just waiting to be explored. Enjoy the season and a change of pace in Oxford, Mississippi. Hop in the car and head over between December 6-13 for winter fun, food and festivities. Check out Visit Oxford MS to start planning your trip today.
What’s happening in Oxford
Want to get in the holiday spirit while keeping yourself and your family safe? You’re in luck.
Two COVID-safe holiday events are happening in Oxford between December 6-13 that you need to put on your calendar. Because as much as we love The Magic City, sometimes it’s good to see everything with fresh eyes.
- Where: Lafayette County Arena
- When: December 6-13
Holly Jolly Holidays presented by C Spire
- Where: Historic Oxford Square
- When: December 11-13
In the meantime, explore the nooks and crannies for little holiday scenes and enjoy the shops all decked out for the season.
Ready to plan your trip? Head to Visit Oxford MS where you’ll find everything you need to make sure you have a great time.
Winter Wonderland starts December 6 and runs through December 13
At Winter Wonderland, you’ll be able to stroll through a socially-distant holiday trail with visits from Santa.
On Saturday, December 12, Chick-Fil-A is sponsoring a $5 per person Breakfast with Santa.
The night of Sunday, September 13 is a cocktail walk benefiting the Yoknapatawpha Arts Council. It’s free for Oxford Arts members, and anyone’s welcome to join.
Whenever you go, you can browse and holiday shop to your heart’s content.
Here’s some of what (and who) will be there:
- Christmas trees by Oxford Garden Club
- Gifts and art from the Oxford Artist’s Guild, including locally-made, one-of-a-kind ornaments
Where: Lafayette County Arena
When: December 6-11 & 13, 5-8PM + Chick-Fil-A’s Breakfast with Santa is December 12, 8-10AM, $5 per person, including a chicken biscuit
Reserve your free spot now with the option to make a one-time $5 donation once you pick your time.
Make a weekend of it with Holly Jolly Holidays presented by C Spire December 11-13
There’s a full lineup of Holly Jolly Holiday fun planned in the Historic Oxford Square:
Friday, December 11, 4-8PM
- *Ice skating
- Holiday snack vending by the skating rink
- Free drinks from Common Ground Coffee (Friday night only) made possible by C Spire
Saturday, December 12, 10AM-8PM
- 10AM-8PM: *Ice skating + holiday snack vending by the skating rink
- 10AM: Story time with Ms. Jill from Square Books Jr.
- 1-3PM: Socially-distanced Santa at Visit Oxford Visitors Center
- 1:30PM: Sweet T’s Bakery Holiday-Themed Cake Demo (LIVE)
- 3-7PM: *Carriage rides leaving from Visit Oxford around the Historic Square
Sunday, December 13th:
- 1-5PM: *Ice skating + holiday snack vending by the skating rink
Meet the Holly Jolly Holidays vendors
- Common Ground Coffee Bar: offering coffee, hot cocoa and wassail (all drinks on the house Friday night, thanks to C Spire).
- Great American Cookies: because it doesn’t get much better than cookies and a hot drink when you’re ice skating
- My Michelle’s: offering tasty salty snacks, including nuts and snack mix.
- City Hall Cheesecake: with single serve cheesecakes—what’s not to love?
- Oxsicles: serving up handcrafted all-natural popsicles.
While you’re in town, be sure to check out the lights
The Downtown Square’s Canopy of Lights is a lovely place for a stroll or a carriage ride. You’ll find old-fashioned colored lights on the trees, too.
For Oxford, this is a return to a beloved tradition dating back to the 1960s. According to the Oxford Eagle, orange, green, red and blue regular-sized lightbulbs made up the original canopy, back in the day.
The revived canopy features environmentally-friendly white LED lights.
Lighting up the downtown water tower is another old tradition that’s making the season bright in Oxford.
Want updates like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for Bham Now’s free, funny + fabulous newsletter today.