Read Time 2 Minutes
Amazon is bringing two new projects to Birmingham. The first project will focus on the former Century Plaza Mall and the second will be in Bessemer. These two new delivery stations hold so much opportunity for The Magic City. Here’s what we know so far.
Amazon does it again
Once again, Amazon is working on another major project in Bessemer. Back in 2019, we took a look inside of the 850,000 square foot Amazon fulfillment center and it was impressive to say the least. Now the company is working on two more projects, but we’re not complaining! According to the Birmingham Business Journal, both projects will be delivery stations and are set to open next year. Let’s take a look at some of the deets.
Project #1: Former Century Plaza Mall
This May, we found out that the city was planning to demolish the vacant Century Plaza Mall to transform it into a logistics center and bring over 300 jobs to the area. This impressive plan was later dubbed as “Project Magic”.
Atlanta-based Stonement Financial Group proposed to demolish Century Plaza and build a new last-mile delivery center. Some of the details include things like:
- The facility will be a state-of-the-art class-A single-story building with concrete walls and glass features at the entry.
- The facility will provide significant jobs with over 1,400 delivery drivers operating to and from the property and over 320 associates and managers working within the premises.
- The proposed facility is designed for a last-mile delivery service. Packages arriving at this facility are prepackaged in cardboard boxes and labeled for shipping within local neighborhoods and areas surrounding the facility.
At first the tenant was a kept a secret, but we now know that it’s Amazon.
Project #2: Back to Bessemer
According to the BBJ, Amazon is planning a 112,000-square-foot facility at Lakeshore Parkway and Alabama 150. Like the project at the Former Century Plaza Mall, they’re planning to develop a last-mile delivery station by 2021.
After learning about other big-name companies like Carvana and Lowe’s bringing distribution centers to Bessemer, it’s clear that Bessemer has a lot going on and we’re here for it.
With Amazon’s expansion on the horizon, could Birmingham become a hub for other companies’ distribution operations. Check out some of the latest projects in the area:
- FedEx’s $40.6M development on Lakeshore Parkway
- A $60M multi-national distribution project at the former Century Plaza mall
- Carvana’s $40M distribution center in Bessemer
- Bessemer’s Amazon facility could be expanding—meet “Project Church”
- New Lowe’s distribution center to bring new jobs to Birmingham
- Something’s coming to Hooper City in North Birmingham. Could it be Amazon?