Read Time 5 Minutes
Savory and sweet. Unique and earthy. Whether you love it mild or packing a serious punch, here are nine spots around Birmingham to get a curry dish that will tantalize your taste buds.
1. Abhi Eatery & Bar
Owned and operated by Nepalese Chef Abhi Sainju, this eatery and bar offers modern twists on Asian fare. For a delicious curry, consider these options:
- Coconut Curry Soup: Price – $5
- Balinese beef rendang: curry of all curries, over premium jasmine rice. Price – $16
- Curry with Tofu: Thai yellow curry, cilantro + carrots over premium jasmine rice. Price – $10
According to Chef Abhi Sainju, the most popular curry dish is the Nepalese Lamb Curry ($18) made with authentic slow-cooked lamb served over premium jasmine rice.
2. Bay Leaf Modern Indian Cuisine
With an ingredient-driven focus and a menu that’s simple and pure in flavor, Bay Leaf is a win with locals. More on Bay Leaf here.
Dishes include traditional Indian favorites like tikka masalas and biriyarus, but there are also some modern takes on a number of Indian delicacies. For sweet and spicy curry-rich meals, try these:
- Tikki Masala: Rich + creamy tomato-based sauce with selected earthy spices.
- Kadhai: sweet + spicy curry with slow-cooked onions, peppers + select spices.
- Vindaloo: slow-braised spicy goan curry made of potatoes, chili + vinegar sauce.
3. Nori Thai & Sushi Restaurant
Classic meets modern at Nori Thai and Sushi Restaurant. While each menu item offers its own unique flair, there is one thing they all have in common—fresh, high-quality ingredients.
If you’re feeling that bold curry taste, here are two dishes to consider:
- Pot Sticker With Panang Curry: Delicate vegetable snd pork dumpling served with parang sauce. Price – $6.50
- Roasted Duck With Red Curry: Roasted duck sautéed with pineapple, fresh tomatoes, bell peppers in spicy red curry sauce. Price – $16.99
4. Saigon Noodle House
For authentic Vietnamese dishes in Birmingham, there’s just one place to go—Saignon Noodle House. Using fresh ingredients and recipes originated from Vietnam, the menu offers everything from Pho noodle soups to Banh Mi sandwiches.
Dig Asian soups? Then this list is for you:
- Bun Laksa Tom: Noodles in coconut curry soup with tofu + Shrimp. Price – $11
- Bun Laksa Rau: Noodles in coconut curry soup with tofu + broccoli mixture. Price – $11
- Bun Ga Xao Gung, Cari, Hoc, Xa, Ot: noodles with stir-fry chicken, onions in ginger sauce, curry sauce, or spicy lemon grass sauce. Price – $10
5. Silver Coin Indian Grill
For wholesome food that will make you say mmm, Silver Coin Indian Grill will take you on a tantalizing aromatic adventure. Along with their chicken tikka masala, check out this dish:
- Chicken 65: boneless chicken marinated with fresh ginger and spices, deep fried, garnished with fried curry leaves. Price – $8.99
6. Sitar Indian Cuisine
Sitar Indian Cuisine has been serving locals authentic Asian cuisine since 2010. Located in Birmingham’s south side, it’s a prime spot for its dwellers and UAB students to satisfy their curry cravings. Here’s what’s on the menu:
- Chicken Curry: Chicken cooked in a light gravy, mild (curry). Price – $10.95
- Chicken Tikka Masala: Pieces of chicken tikka cooked in a creamy sauce with fresh tomatoes and exotic spices. Price – $12.95
- Lamb Curry/Lamb Vindaloo: Spicy lamb cooked in an onion sauce or sharp, tangy sauce. Price – $14.95
- Seafood Vindaloo or Curry: Jumbo shrimp, scallop and fish cooked with potatoes in a highly spiced, tangy hot sauce. Price – $14.95
7. Surin West
Surin West is one of my favorite Thai restaurants in Birmingham. And, while I tend to opt for my usual order of chicken pad Thai and spring rolls, the curry dishes are worth checking out. There are tons to try, so consider these:
- Chicken Noodle Bowl: Grilled marinated chicken breast, rice noodles, and ginger in a peanuy lemon curry sauce, with onions, bean sprouts and crisp romaine leuce. Price – $9.50
- Masaman Chicken: boneless chicken breast sautéed in a Thai masaman curry with avocados + cashew nuts. Price – $17
- Roasted Duck with Red Curry: roasted duck de-boned then marinated overnight in a red curry sauce, blended with kaffir leaf, basil, pineapple, red bell peppers + fresh tomato. Price – $21
- Shrimp Curry: Hot green Thai curry sauce made with red & green bell peppers, green beans, basil leaves, napa cabbage, & zucchini. Price – $17
- Spicy Eggplant Noodle: Japanese eggplant, spicy curry sauce, tender chicken fillets, bell peppers, fresh mushrooms + spaghetti pasta noodles. Price – $9.50
8. Thai Basil + Sushi
Want a filling meal that will wow you? Then put Thai Basil + Sushi on your must-try list. Serving only the freshest and finest ingredients, this tiny dining spot perfectly combines Thai and Japanese cuisine. These four dishes are sure to entice you:
- Masaman: Masaman curry sauce, chicken breast, avocado + cashew nuts. Price – $11.95
- Panang: Panang curry sauce, chicken breast, bell peppers + Thai basil. Price – $11.95
- Steamed Pot Stickers: Panang curry sauce, pork, vegetable + rice dumpling. Price – $5.95
- Pineapple Fried Rice Shrimp + Chicken: Yellow curry powder sauce, shrimp, chicken, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, pineapple, raisins + cashew nuts. Price – $12.95
9. Taj India
Having been a popular spot to dine since the mid-80s, Taj India is commonly one of the top restaurants suggested in Birmingham for its exotic curry dishes.
Whether dining in or grabbing food to go, Taj India offers a unique experience of gourmet eating that caters to contemporary palates.
Their menu is full of hot and spicy curries to choose from, too—each served with Basmati rice.
- Ghost Krara: semi-dry lamb curry with onions, tomatoes, cilantro + a special blend of spicy + hot fresh roasted ground spices. Price – $12.95
- Chicken Madra: Very spicy chili chicken dish made with crushed red chilies + hot mustard seeds. Price – $11.95
- Chicken or Lamb Vindaloo: Chicken or lamb cooked with cubed, boiled potatoes, onions + a blend of hot spices garnished with jalapeño. Price – $11.95
Local Spice Shops
Going out to eat isn’t the only way you can get your curry fix around Birmingham. You can also venture to local spice shops and create your own meal at home. Here are some to check out:
- Honey & Spice Health Foods: 1251 Grayson Valley Pkwy, Birmingham, AL 35235
- India Heritage: 3137 Lorna Rd, Ste 7, Hoover, AL 35216
- Penzeys Spices: 2939 18th St S, Homewood, AL 35209
- Pepper Palace: 6200 Grand River Blvd E, Ste 630, Leeds, AL 35094
- Simply Infused Olive Oil Shop: 5475 US-280, Birmingham, AL 35242