Read Time 5 Minutes
Buckle up—the 2020 Sidewalk Film Festival at the Grand River Drive-In isn’t stalling despite its overload of impressive films. Creative Director Rachel Morgan filled us in on when we should keep our eye to the screen and radio turned up. Buy tickets today to the festival August 24-30, sponsored by Regions Bank, and get 15% off when you use the code BHAMNOW15.
WAIT—Don’t miss the party during Mix and Flix 🍸
I’ve had dreams about the day I can grab a gin and tonic (or two) at Sidewalk’s bar before settling in for a movie. Mix + Flix is bringing a slice of that experience into your home with curbside movie-inspired home bar kits. Pick your kit and join the team for a virtual cocktail party with movie trivia, drink demos and more.
The red-carpet-ready cocktails are more than magical with tributes to the greats like Harry Potter Butterbeer, Call Me By Your Name Blackberry Lemonade and The Shining Overlook Punch.
- When: Order drinks now–August 7 | Virual Cocktail Party: August 8 5-7PM
- Order now | Join the party on Facebook Live
1. First Cow
Friendship, adventure and a cow—the holy trinity of movie elements that will immediately have me intrigued. Follow Cookie and King-Lu as they travel the 1820’s West in search of fortune.
- When: Monday, August 24th at 8PM
- More info: PG-13 | Directed by Kelly Reichardt | 2 hours, 2 minutes
2. Banksy Most Wanted
A name everyone knows, but a person nobody does. The famed artist is recognized for his political statements, stunts—cue the $1.4 million shredded painting of 2018—and most notably his anonymity. Can these two directors lead us closer to the truth?
- When: Monday, August 24th at 8PM
- More info: NR | Directed by Seamus Haley, Laurent Richard, Aurélia Rouvier | | 1 hour, 30 minutes
3. Giants Being Lonely
Step into a film that feels like memory and station yourself in Southern suburbia. The coming-of-age narrative places us alongside a pair of players on a successful high school baseball team, the Giants.
- When: Saturday, August 29th at 8:00PM
- More info: NR | Directed by Grear Patterson | 1 hour, 21 minutes
4. The Immortal Jellyfish
Monotony interrupted by a dead body—what could go wrong when the town oddball and an unlikely partner investigate the case? This dark comedy involves crime-solving, humor and lots of jellyfish portraits.
- When: Sunday, August 30th at 10:30PM
- More info: NR | Directed by Dusty Bias | 1 hour, 46 minutes
5 + 6. Black Lens Double Feature: After Selma and Finding the Cornerstone: The Wallace A. Rayfield Story
- When: Tuesday, August 25 at 8:00PM
Emmy-winning filmmaker Loki Mulholland leads the audience through what’s happening in American since six hundred brave citizens marched across the Edmund Pettus Bridge for the right to vote. Joined with civil rights veteran Joanne Blackmon Bland and New York Times bestselling author Carol Anderson, the film explores the history of voter suppression.
- Directed by Loki Mulholland | 46 Minutes
Finding the Cornerstone: The Wallace A. Rayfield Story
This film tells the story of two men, separated by race, education and time, but united by happenstance.
- Directed by Dwight Cameron | 58 Minutes
Filmed over five years in Kansas City, TRANSHOOD follows four kids – beginning at ages 4, 7, 12, and 15 – as they redefine “coming of age.” These kids and their families reveal intimate realities of how gender is re-shaping the family next door in a never-before-told chronicling of growing up transgender in the heartland.
- When: Sunday, August 30 at 8PM
- More info: NR | Directed by Sharon Liese | 1 hour, 36 minutes
8. The Killing of Kenneth Chamberlain
Based on the true story of the events that led to the death of Kenneth Chamberlain Sr., an elderly African American veteran with bipolar disorder, who was killed during a conflict with police officers who were dispatched to check on him.
- When: Friday, August 28 at 8PM
- More info: NR | Directed by David Midell | 83 minutes
9. The Beatles’ Yellow Submarine Sing-Along
All ages and all levels of singers are welcome to Sidewalk’s special 2020 screening of “Yellow Submarine.” The colorful and psychedelic world created on screen will pull you in and fill your head with colorful images and sounds of the iconic pop group.
- When: Friday August 28 at 8PM
- More info: G | Directed by George Dunning | 1 hour, 30 minutes
10. + 11. Teen Wolf and Teen Witch
- When: Monday, August 24 at 8:00PM till Tuesday, August 25 •12:15AM
Long before Tyler Posey and Dylan O’Brian entered on the scene, there was an original teen wolf in town filled with angst, high school drama and a a big secret that comes out every full moon.
- PG | Directed by Rob Daniel | 91 minutes
Some kids get a car when they turn 16, others get magical powers. Call it luck of the draw I suppose. How will a high school misfit use her new magic?
- PG-13 | Directed by Dorian Walker | 90 Minutes
Something tells me this film won’t be so sweet. Relish in a classic horror thriller when a skeptical graduate student learns about a knife-wielding urban legend that may not be so much of a legend after all.
- When: Friday August 28 at 10PM
- More info: R | Directed by Bernard Rose | 1 hour, 39 minutes
Ok you convinced me—give me the deets on the fest 🎬
Tickets + Concessions:
Unlike years past, there are no passes this year—BUT anyone who has or buys a membership gets an automatic discount when they purchase tickets! Each film is individually ticketed and based on the number of people in your car.
- 1 Person Car- $15
- 2 Person Car – $26
- 3 Person Car – $35
- 4 Person Car – $42
- 5+ Person Car – $47
Running into problems or have questions? Email email@example.com.
No one’s going hungry at this fest—food and drink will be for sale at the event and facilitate by the Grand River Drive-In.
This will be a socially distanced event, and Sidewalk Film is honoring all regulations put forth by our local and state governments and public health officials.
You should come to the event only with the people you’ve been “safer at home” with, wear face coverings when visiting restrooms, and follow all safety and security guidelines (see your confirmation email for more information).
Don’t forget to use the code BHAMNOW15 to get 15% off tickets. Stay tuned for new titles announced each week by following Sidewalk Film on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.