Downtown Forest Park
The building is located in Forest Park, on a tiny strip of retail stores along Clairmont Avenue. The little downtown area is so charming—with several cute little shops in the area:
- Little Savannah Restaurant & Bar — With local artwork and farm-to-table cuisine, this restaurant has some of the tastiest Southern cuisine around. Oh, and seasonal cocktails, of course.
- Shoppe Plant Nursery — This cute plant nursery is definitely a go-to for plants and home decor.
- General Home Goods Store — Owned by the creators of Shoppe, General features all sorts of home goods, from books to tea towels to candles and more.
- Dreamers Supply Co. — This magical spot is filled with face serums, lotions, skin masks and more.
- The Rougaroux — Located in an old residential home, this joint offers po’ boys, gumbo & other Cajun classics.
And in the recently-purchased building lives one of Birmingham’s legendary vintage outfitters, Zoe’s. This spot has been serving the Magic City since 1997, with hand-picked vintage items for men and women.
But before it was Zoe’s, 3900 Clairmont was the home for Smith & Hardwick, a bookstore often billed as “the largest bookstore in the South”. Originally Smith & Hardwick opened in 1934 in the Clark Building on 20th Street North. In 1990, Smith & Hardwick moved to its Forest Park location—sadly, the bookstore closed in 2004.
Now Owned by Dunn Real Estate
On July 27, the Dunn Real Estate firm closed on the property at 3900 Clairemont Ave for $655,000, according to the Jefferson County public records. Dunn Real Estate purchased the building from D. B. Development LLC, which had owned it since 2004.
Dunn Real Estate also owns the property at 3916 Clairmont Ave, just a short walk up the street. 3916 Clairmont was the former location of the Whistling Table Restaurant, and the V. Richard’s Market grocery store before that. According to the Birmingham Business Journal, this deal is significant—it signifies that local investors have faith in Birmingham’s retail shops, even those located outside of the city center.