Read Time 4 Minutes
Graduation’s right around the corner for the Class of 2020 and that means celebrations and gifts—lots of them! Your soon-to-be graduate has reached a major milestone and although this semester may have been unconventional, it’s time to give them a big congrats. Here are some local gift ideas for the graduate in your life.
The following businesses were pulled from our growing database featuring over 470 local restaurants, bars, and businesses offering deals, curbside delivery and more.
Gifts for the Outdoorsy Type 🌳
With curbside pickup and online shopping, you can get just about anything your outdoor-loving graduate needs for their next adventure.
Ruffner Mountain Nature Coalition, Inc.
Shop native plants online for pick-up or delivery until May 1. All proceeds benefit Ruffner Mountain and Turkey Creek Nature Preserve.
- Location: 1214 81st St S, Birmingham, AL 35206
- Contact: 205.833.8264 | Website
Gifts for the Artist 🎨
Forstall Art Center
This one-stop-shop for art supplies has some killer deals. All canvases and brushes are 50% off until the quarantine ends and the family-friendly paint sets are also on sale. Kits include paints, tools, surfaces and easels.
- Location: 215 20th St. N. Birmingham, AL 35203
- Contact: 205.870.0480 | Website
Hammer & Stain
Your DIY-loving graduate is going to love a new project to work on. This DIY studio focuses on transforming unfinished wood into beautiful customized works of art.
- Location: 3704 Lorna Rd, Hoover, AL 35216
- Contact: 260.242.0376 | Website
If your graduate likes Pinterest, they’re in for a treat with this DIY art and craft studio. They have craft kits ready for pickup with an exception of acrylic paint pours and candles.
- Location: 201 Cahaba Park Cir #500/600, Birmingham, AL 35242
- Contact: 205.874.6193 | Website
Gifts for the Foodie 🍽️
Birmingham is a haven for foodies. There’s no doubt about that. With so many great local eats, consider a gift card to your grad’s fave restaurant. Here are a few guides to help you decide:
- Curbside brunch
- Health shakes + smoothies + acai bowls
- Mexican food
- Asian food
- Farm fresh foods
- Italian food
- Sweet treats + baked goods
- Fantastic french fries curbside
Gifts for the Stylish Grad 🧵
If we’ve learned anything from these uncertain times, it’s that Birmingham is home to unique, locally-owned retail shops. If your graduate is looking to refresh their post-grad wardrobe, consider shopping local right here in Birmingham.
Whether it’s a dapper suit from Billy Reid or designer handbag from Elle, here are 3 stylish guides to help you start your shopping spree:
- Shop clothing, accessories + more from 6 local stores in Birmingham
- 5 Alabama fashion designers’ clothes you can find in Birmingham
- 7 local jewelry + accessory designers bringing spunk to Birmingham
Gifts for the Traveler 🌎
For those graduates with a bit of wanderlust, it’s hard to stand still during this pandemic. Although, we won’t be jet setting soon, here are some local spots that can help you get started planning your graduate’s dream trip.
Flint Leather Co.
Flint Leather Co. specializes in high-quality leather goods and nothing says globetrotter like a nice leather duffel or business bag. They also sell journals, wallets, purses and even Airpod cases.
- Contact: Website
- Discount Code: TOGETHER30 for 30% off your entire order
Did you know Brownell Travel is one of Bham’s oldest businesses? Their consultants offer white-glove service to plan your dream trip.
- Location: 216 Summit Blvd #220, Birmingham, AL 35243
- Contact: 205.540.1499 | Website
Offering health and travel insurance for trips of any durations, Insured Nokmads even allows you to tailor your insurance plan to overseas travel.
- Location: 120 19th St N UNIT 401, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Contact: 205.767.0507 | Website
Magical Vacation Planner by Donya Rumore
Seems like everyone has at least one Disney enthusiast in their lives. If that person happens to be graduating, this company can help plan that future, magical experience.
- Contact: 205.582.8823 | Website
Red Clay Tours
- Contact: 205.240.3829 | Website
- Discount code: Buy 5 tickets, get one free with code REDCLAY