Read Time 2 Minutes
With the new Bessemer Fulfillment Center in its final stages, Amazon is hiring 1,500 full-time positions right now. Read on to learn more, including how to apply.
1. The nuts and bolts.
- Location: 975 Powder Plant Road, Bessemer, AL 35002
- Requirements: 18+, high school diploma or equivalent. Veterans and military spouses are encouraged to apply.
- Sign up for text alerts about new job opportunities: text BHMNOW to 77088.
- Apply now. Indicate shift preference (schedules will vary) and select an appointment time to attend an upcoming hiring event and orientation.
2. Types of jobs at the Bessemer Fulfillment Center.
At Amazon’s Bessemer Fulfillment Center, you can work side-by-side with robots. If you’re not one for office politics, I doubt your robot co-worker will be asking you personal questions.
Seriously, you help pick, pack and ship things like books, electronics and consumer goods to ship across the region.
No doubt there are other roles, too, depending on your skills and desires.
3. Benefits for workers.
Amazon has a $15/hour minimum wage plus some pretty sweet benefits for full-time employees:
- comprehensive healthcare from day one
- 401(k) with 50% match
- up to 20 weeks paid parental leave
They also offer a Career Choice program which pre-pays 95 of tuition for courses in high-demand fields.
Turns out this program is a popular one, since more than 25,000 employees have pursued degrees since it was launched four years ago. Here are some of the fields:
- game design and visual communications
- IT programming
Also, Amazon has pledged a cool $700m to help 100,000 US employees level up to in-demand jobs, whether they’re skilled roles within the company or outside of Amazon.
4. More of the backstory.
- Oct. 2, 2018: Amazon in Bessemer. A ground-breaking and a pay raise all on the same day
- May 9, 2019: A first look at the Amazon Fulfillment Center in Bessemer (photos & videos)
- Jan. 16, 2020: Amazon in Bessemer is hiring. Here’s how to apply!