Read Time 3 Minutes
As springtime approaches, that itch for a change is as common as the pollen. If you’re considering putting your home on the market, don’t miss these tips from an Alabama real estate expert.
The Birmingham Housing Market is Hot—Here’s How to Take Advantage
When it comes to a market that looks as good as this, moving quickly can be vital. One of RealtySouth’s agents, Melanie Siow, walked us through how to get your home ready to go on the Birmingham market in 30 days or less.
Want a sneak preview of the market before you dive in? Check out what’s for sale.
1. Curb Appeal
First impressions are everything, right? Melanie suggests a few different methods for upping your curb appeal.
- Pressure wash your porch and/or sidewalks.
- Throw some fresh mulch/soil out in your beds or planters.
- Evaluate your front door. Does it need to be painted? Repaired? Replaced?
- Put out some fresh flowers. It could be pansies in the winter, petunias in the summer—whatever works! A little pop of color goes a long way.
Why it matters: The outside of your home is the very first thing people see, so it’s important you get started off on the right foot. Things as simple as a fresh coat of paint on your front door or some flowers in a planter can make all the difference.
Less is more. I’m attached to my decorations as much as anyone, but it doesn’t always make the space look more appealing to potential buyers. Decluttering your space can mean a few things:
- Take everything off of surfaces like countertops, mantles, appliances, etc.
- Rent a storage unit and take about half of your things out of your home and closets.
- Depersonalize. Taking down things like family photos, children’s drawings, etc allows for a potential buyer to better envision themselves living in a space.
Why it matters: Even though decorations and items can look great in your home, when it comes to photos, your spaces are going to look busy and cluttered. Professional photos are important in real estate, and you want them to look as clean as possible.
3. Let the Light in
Rise and shine and throw open those blinds—letting as much light into your home is huge. Here’s how to get that bright look:
- If you have curtains, take them down.
- Get rid of your valances. You may add a great look, but they’re still blocking light.
- Open all your blinds and pull them halfway up.
Why it matters: Some people like their homes a bit dimmer, but when it comes to showing (or photographing) your home, the brighter the better! Natural light makes everything look cleaner and more inviting.
4. Deep Cleaning
Time to dive deep and get your home sparkling clean. No matter how tidy you and your family are, it’s just a fact: homes get dirty. A professional deep clean will make everything look better as well as getting it smelling fresh.
- Hiring a professional carpet cleaner is one of the biggest impacts you can make in a short amount of time.
- Even if you clean regularly, there are some details you probably don’t focus on. Having a specialist come in to really deep clean and tackle projects like the windows saves you a lot of time and effort.
Why it matters: Even if you know that your buyer wants to replace elements like the carpets, this is still an important step. Melanie offered a pro tip as well: ask your realtor for suggestions on cleaners. She has a “window guy” that she recommends to all her clients. It’s worth the ask to save yourself from the Yelp review scour.
5. The Final Step
There’s one last step to get your home ready to go on the market—finding a realtor. As the largest real estate company in Alabama, RealtySouth has been trusted by both buyers and sellers for over 50 years.
Their ever-growing agent population of nearly 1,000 licensed experts is ready to get that “SOLD” sign up in your yard. Find an agent today and get started!
Special thanks for RealtySouth agent Melanie Siow for providing the tips. Check her out on social if you’re looking to buy or sell in Shelby County:
It’s time for a change and the market is ready—call RealtySouth to get in on the action!