Read Time 2 Minutes
So, for one reason or another, you find yourself with a couple of unwanted guns (or more!) on your hands. Maybe you inherited them, or just have a few old guns that you no longer want. If you are looking to properly dispose of a firearm, here are three ways to make it happen in Birmingham.
1. Turn Your Gun Over to Your Local Police Station
During your call, you will be given two choices:
- Schedule an appointment to bring in your firearm
- Depending on the station, schedule a time for an officer to swing by your home to collect the firearm.
2. Sell It and Get Some Cash
If you’d like to sell your weapon, consider finding a private gun buyback program. While these programs might not pay market value, you could get a little cash.
Another option is to sell your guns to the National Center for Unwanted Firearms.
- 1) First, fill out their contact form or call (833) GIV-GUNS
- 2) Wait to receive a box and instructions on how to properly pack your firearm.
- 3) Send the firearm to the National Center for Unwanted Firearms.
3. Turn Your Firearm into Art
First, make sure to deactivate your weapon yourself or take it to a gunsmith. Next, decide how you’d like to transform it. Here are some ideas!
- Create a decorative plaque: For example, if the gun has sentimental value, you could mount it on a display and hang it in your home.
- Turn it into furniture: Or, if you’re crafty, you could turn the gun into a household item such as a lamp.
- Turn it into art: You’ll have to get creative here. But, the possibilities are infinite.
Additionally, if you’d like some inspiration, check out the exhibit at Space One Eleven titled “We Dare Defend Our Rights.” The exhibit is open until December 31st, and you can visit during gallery hours (10AM to 5PM Tuesday through Friday.)