Nothing beats a night out on the town while the air is crisp and the evenings are chill in Birmingham. Right now is the time to take advantage of the cool (almost, maybe cold) season by getting out and experiencing everything the Magic City has to offer (so much!).
Be sure to check out the Bham Now events calendar! It’s easy on the eyes, and you can take in an entire month’s worth of events all at once, just in case you are a social butterfly who likes to plan accordingly. You know, like me. There is nothing wrong with designing the perfect dance card. #mymotto
For the true Birmingham experience, do like the locals do and sport some native style while you’re out and about. The big thing about Birmingham is the length its citizens will go to support each other’s endeavors, and that definitely includes local duds.
To dress up your date night with a nod to Birmingham, try one of these three retailers. Here are my must-haves from them:
- For a bold splurge that makes a statement, try TACKMA’s Thunder T Varsity Jacket from Alchemy 213 . This men’s shop is not just for men, obviously, to me, anyway, because that jacket has my name all over it.
- Of course you need a strategic tee underneath your varsity bomber. Try one from Bohemian Bop, a retail shop and t-shirt label featuring original designs and fun with words.
- You cannot go wrong with a pair of Zkano socks from Club Duquette. Made in Fort Payne, the former sock capital of the world, these American-made socks from Alabama can restore your faith in humanity. Manufacturing goods right here in Alabama makes the world go round, ya’ll!
Three and Three: Date Night To Dos
Now that you’re dressed to impress, here are my top three date night recommendations for the Magic City. Don’t worry … I’ve left you plenty of time to plan ahead. Go on and fill your Birmingham dance card just the way you like it.
- The next time you’re looking to paint the town red, don’t forget about Opera Birmingham. Their second show, Sounds of the Season, kicks off December 9 at Samford’s Brock Recital Hall.
- For all my fellow science and exploration buffs, get your tickets now for Bham Now’s BOLD Series featuring Jim McClintock. He’s an explorer, author and Antarctic expert who will be sharing his story at Avondale Brewery on Tuesday 12/6.
- The BMR Holiday Soiree with Jim James and his “soaring voice” on Sunday, December 18. Yeah, OK. My Morning Jacket, my varsity jacket, whatever it takes to stay cool in Birmingham. Let’s do this. Enjoy yourselves, express yourselves and take care of the city, ya’ll. I’ll see you out and about!