July is National Ice Cream Month and what better place to celebrate than in The Magic City? We compiled 10 of the best ice cream shops in town just for you. Go ahead and clear your calendar for a sweet treat run to these Birmingham creameries.
A creamery that lets you pick a cookie to enjoy with your scoop of ice cream? Count us in. My favorite Bendy’s combination is the Sweet Cream ice cream with a double chocolate cookie. You can thank me later.
- Hours: Sunday-Thursday Noon-9PM | Friday-Saturday Noon-9:30PM
- Location: 3029 Pumphouse Rd, Ste. 109, Vestavia Hills, AL. 35243
We can’t make an ice cream guide without mentioning Big Spoon Creamery. Every one of their unique flavors are a 10/10. Personally, I’m a big fan of the milkshakes.
Neighbors recently had their grand reopening and since then, it’s been a hotspot for West Homewood. I tried it for the first time last week and trust me, you’ll want to get in on the action. Another fun part—you can catch a local food truck every Thursday right outside the ice cream shop.
Pro tip: Order the cookie dough as a scoop or topping!
- Hours: Sunday-Saturday Noon-9PM
- Location: 715 Oak Grove Rd, Homewood, AL. 35209
This spunky sorbet and Italian ice joint is the cutest hometown spot. Not only do they have a brick and mortar you can visit with friends, but the party can come to you with the Doodle’s Sorbet and Ice truck. What’s not to love?
- Hours: Sunday-Saturday Noon-10PM
- Location: 3236 Cahaba Heights Rd, Vestavia Hills, AL. 35243
Nestled in the heart of Mountain Brook, this creamery is a neighborhood classic. The bright interior draws you in, but the dozens of flavors, milkshakes and frozen yogurt make you want to stay.
- Hours: Daily 11AM-10:30PM
- Location: 2715 Cahaba Rd, Mountain Brook, AL. 35223
The sister location of Mountain Brook Creamery, this ice cream shop is a local fav. The outdoor seating is perfect for you and your friends to catch up over a delicious scoop.
- Hours: Daily 11AM-10:30PM
- Location: 936 Oxmoor Rd. Birmingham, AL. 35209
One of my favorite creameries around town—Jeni’s is THE spot for that late night run with friends or an after-school snack. Be sure to try the Ooey Gooey Butter Cake on your next visit.
- Mountain Brook location
- Hours: Monday-Thursday Noon-9PM | Friday-Sunday 11AM-10PM
- Pepper Place location
- Hours: Sunday-Friday Noon-11PM | Saturday 11AM-11PM
Want to take a quick trip to Italy? Canella Gelato allows you to immerse yourself in European culture right here in The Magic City. All flavors are made with all natural ingredients, sourced as locally as possible.
- Hours: Tuesday-Wednesday Noon-8PM | Thursday-Saturday Noon-10PM
- Location: 2212 Morris Ave, Birmingham, AL 35203
This little creamery nestled at the top of Bluff Park is the perfect go-to for your cold treat run. Round up your best buds and indulge in one of their 30+ flavors.
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday Noon-9PM
- Location: 815 Shades Crest Rd, Birmingham, AL. 35226
10. Unless U Scoops
The mission of Unless U Scoops is to create an environment that promotes independence. The nonprofit organization is committed to serving adults with developmental disabilities and provides opportunities for their students to grow academically, socially, physically and spiritually. Thanks to the development of Unless U Scoops, they can also provide students with vocational support.
Stop by Unless U Scoops during National Ice Cream Month and support this local nonprofit!
- Hours: Monday-Friday 1-5PM
- Location: 737 Chestnut St, Vestavia Hills, AL. 35216