Want to see new sights, try new foods and have new experiences on your next beach vacation? Keep reading to learn more about three must-visit attractions on Alabama’s Gulf Coast!
1. See Bamahenge, Lady in the Bay and more at Barber Marina
Located in Elberta near Orange Beach, Barber Marina is a world-class marina created and owned by George Barber of Barber Motorsports Park. The 25+ acre marina campus is home to several one-of-a-kind attractions, including:
- Bamahenge — A full-scale fiberglass replica of Stonehenge created by artist Mark Cline.
- Lady in the Bay — Another creation of Mark Cline’s, the Lady in the Bay is a 50-foot sculpture made to look like a woman sitting in the water. The Lady in the Bay recently returned to the Barber Marina after two years of repairs following damage from Hurricane Sally.
In addition, the winding road to Barber Marina takes visitors by life-sized recreations of dinosaurs, medieval knights and Roman columns—fun for the whole family!
- Barber Marina, 26986 Fish Trap Rd, Elberta, AL 36530
- Website | Facebook | YouTube
2. Attend a sand castle class with Sand Castle University
Looking for a kid-friendly activity along the Gulf Coast? You can book a sand castle building class with Sand Castle University! Sand Castle University—which currently offers classes in Gulf Shores, Fort Morgan and Orange Beach—specializes in teaching groups of all ages and skill levels how to build their own amazing sand sculptures.
3. Experience the natural beauty of Alabama at Gulf State Park
Set between Orange Beach and Gulf Shores, Gulf State Park has family-friendly activities for everyone. Inside the park, guests can enjoy:
- A beach pavilion with picnic tables, perfect for lunch on the beach.
- A nature center where kids (and adults!) can learn about wildlife native to the area.
- A fishing and education pier with scenic beach & ocean views.
- Miles of biking and hiking trails.
- And much more!
“Gulf State Park is a beautiful place to visit—and, you can stay there overnight! There are all kinds of walking and biking trails that lead you through the scenic inlet waterways.”Reba Myer, LAH Sotheby’s International Real Estate
- Gulf State Park, 20115 State Park Rd, Gulf Shores, AL 36542
BONUS: Must-try Gulf Coast restaurants
Looking for some delicious restaurants steps away from the beach?
- Fisher’s Upstairs at Orange Beach — Experience fine coastal cuisine, including seafood, prime steaks, craft cocktails and carefully curated wines at this award-winning restaurant.
- Playa at Sportsman Marina — Find seafood, steaks, tacos & tropical cocktails at Playa at Sportsman Marina while admiring the waterfront views of Orange Beach.
- Tacky Jacks — A popular restaurant with three waterfront locations on the Alabama Gulf Coast, Tacky Jacks is a favorite of locals and visitors alike.
- Gulf Shores — 240 E 24th Ave, Gulf Shores, AL 36542
- Fort Morgan — 1577 AL-180, Gulf Shores, AL 36542
- Orange Beach — 27206 Safe Harbor Dr, Orange Beach, AL 36561
“If you don’t mind a little drive, Tin Top Restaurant & Oyster Bar is a must in Bon Secour. I’m a big raw oyster fan and they have the best! For dessert, they usually have an amazing bread pudding of some variety.”Reba Myer, LAH Sotheby’s International Real Estate
Want to extend your beach vacation?
Who hasn’t dreamed about living at the beach? Rather than stay at a hotel or AirBNB, a coastal home or condo would give to you the opportunity to spend as much time as you’d like on Alabama’s Gulf Coast. Plus, Birmingham is just a short drive from the Gulf Coast—perfect for a weekend getaway!
Want to learn more about buying a coastal home? The best way to get started is by reaching out to an agent at LAH Sotheby’s International Real Estate, such as Reba Myer. A real estate agent with 15 years of experience, Reba has been one of the LAH team’s Gulf Coast experts for years.
“Once we connect, I’ll gather information about what you’re looking for in a beach home—location, size and whether or not it is for investment or primary home. From there, we’ll match you to an agent in the area using our access to a huge referral network within Sotheby’s International Real Estate. Then begins the process of showing you different properties until you find the one you love!”Reba Myer, LAH Sotheby’s International Real Estate
Learn more about living at the beach by contacting the team at your local LAH Sotheby’s International Real Estate location:
- Mountain Brook Office: (205) 870-8580
- Homewood Office: (205) 879-8580
- Hoover Office: (205) 440-4740
- Crestline Office: (205) 588-8474
What is your favorite thing to do in Alabama’s Gulf Coast? Tag us @bhamnow to let us know!