The Friends of Birmingham Botanical Gardens’ Spring Plant Sale is back April 13-15, and it’s growing into an unbe-leaf-able event. Read on for must-know details including plants for sale, how to score discounts and more.
- What: Friends of Birmingham Botanical Gardens’ Spring Plant Sale
- Members Pre-Sale: Thursday, April 13, 1-5:30PM | Public Sale: Friday, April 14, 8AM-5:30PM + Saturday, April 15, 8AM-2PM
- Where: Birmingham Botanical Gardens – Formal Lawn + Hill Garden, 2612 Lane Park Rd, Birmingham, AL 35223
- Cost: Free admission
- Payment by check and credit card only for purchases during event
1. Your support keeps the Gardens’ blooming
If you love visiting the Birmingham Botanical Gardens (BBG), shopping the Spring Plant Sale is an excellent way to keep this enchanting local spot flourishing year-round.
Proceeds from the event benefit the Friends of Birmingham Botanical Gardens. This mission-driven, membership-based organization seeks to protect, nurture and share the wonders of the Gardens. In other words, they keep it blooming.
Want to support the Friends of Birmingham Botanical Gardens? Shop the Spring Plant Sale, April 13-15.
2. The plants are gorgeous!
One of my favorite things about spring is seeing so many people outside sprucing up their yards and planting beautiful flowers. To turn your garden from winter drab to springtime fab, BBG’s Spring Plant Sale is a great start.
From veggies to ferns, you’ll shop hundreds of varieties of plants specially selected for our region. Here’s a peek at what you’ll find at the sale:
- And more!
Plants, many of which are hard to find, range in price from $4 to $70.
What’s cool to note is that many of the plants available at the sale were cared for at the Gardens by the Friends’ dedicated volunteer growing groups.
TIP: Make shopping easy by bringing a portable cart or wagon along with you to the sale.
3. You’ll gain inside tips from local growers
If you’re like me and just learning how to garden and care for plants, you’re in luck. During BBGs’ Spring Plant Sale, you’ll have the opportunity to gain expert advice from seasoned gardeners. Many have even trained under the Jefferson County Master Gardener program.
“The Friends’ annual Spring Plant Sale offers our community a terrific opportunity to talk with experts about plants that thrive in Southern gardens and to discover tried-and-true tips and tricks for caring for them.”Tom Underwood, Executive Director, Friends of Birmingham Botanical Gardens
4. You can score discounts by becoming a Friend of the Gardens
If you love perks, you’ll dig this news. By signing up to be a Friend of the Gardens, you get tons of special deals and more—during the Spring Plant Sale and around town.
Become a member and get first dibs on hundreds of plants during the Spring Plant Sale during Early-Bird Shopping on Thursday, April 13 from 1-5:30PM.
Already a Friend of the Gardens? Update your membership here.
Check out more membership perks below:
- Free/discounted admission to 340+ botanical gardens across North America.
- Access to exclusive members-only classes, events + tours
- Discounts on select classes and workshops for adults + children
- Free general admission to Antiques at the Gardens
- And more!
5. You’ll have another reason to visit the Gardens
Not that you need another reason to attend BBG’s Spring Plant Sale, but when you do, you’ll also get to explore the Gardens. Featuring designated areas, each highlighting different plant and flower species, you’ll be ensconced in the beauty of nature everywhere you turn.
Some of the gardens to visit include:
- Hill Garden—a peaceful space centered around the Kayser Lily Pool
- Ireland Irish Garden—grassy pathways and terraces filled with irises and more flowers like white candytuft, pink peonies, purple creeping phlox, and red sedum
- Japanese Garden—a traditional Japanese garden design with delicate cherry blossoms, towering bamboo and a pond rich with colorful koi
For all your plant needs, attend BBG’s Spring Plant Sale, April 13-15 on the Formal Lawn and Hill Garden.