Brrrrr, cold weather is headed our way. As you cozy up in a big sweater, be sure to know how to keep your furry friends outside safe too. Read on for tips on how to prepare your pets for the dangerously cold weather.
Watch out for the extremely cold weather coming soon
You better bundle up because freezing weather is coming to The Magic City. From Friday, December 23 to Tuesday, December 27, there will be lows in the teens and highs in the thirties. There is also a possibility of snow and dangerous wind chill, according to the National Weather Service.
How can you keep your pets safe?
According to the National Weather Service, there are many steps you can take to keep your pets safe:
- Check food and water—make sure the water doesn’t freeze.
- Wipe salt, antifreeze, snow and ice off your pet’s fur and paws.
- Limit your pet’s time outside. Keep walks to a minimum.
- Provide shelter—bring outdoor pets inside, if possible, and make sure the dog’s house is well insulated.
Plus, the Greater Birmingham Humane Society is letting us know what to do if we see an animal outside while it’s cold:
- Snap it: Take a photo of the animal and its surroundings. Stay safe and don’t trespass.
- Map it: Have the exact address so the Animal Control Officers can perform a welfare check.
- Call it: Contact Animal Care and Control at 205-591-6522 to report the animal.
Are you in the Huntsville area? Keep your pets safe by following these tips.
For more Birmingham news like this delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for our FREE newsletter.