Labor Day Weekend is just around the corner, which means you have one last chance to enjoy a warm-weather getaway before fall. Here’s why we think Gulf Shores & Orange Beach is the perfect place for that last big summer hurrah.
1. You can have one last summer-spirited adventure
With schools starting back and work days always busy, the daily life grind can lend little time for thrills. This Labor Day Weekend, power down that computer, ditch your phone and experience something new.
With miles of sand and the entire Gulf of Mexico before you in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, there are more possibilities than you’ll know what to do with: Here are our top suggestions.
- Bike the Fort Morgan Trail. Distance – 10.8 miles. Difficulty – Moderate.
- Fish via a chartered boat. Be sure to get your fishing license here first!
- Snorkel at the Perdido Key Snorkel Reef in Orange Beach at the Johnson Beach public beach access.
There are lots more opportunities for exciting outdoor activities in Gulf Shores. See more.
2. You can dip your toes in the Gulf before the weather gets cool
The soul-soothing feel of sand beneath your feet. The sound of seagulls cawing overhead. The endless miles of gorgeous emerald waters of the Gulf. Is there anything better than being at the beach? Not in my book. This Labor Day Weekend, I suggest absorbing the sights and sounds that only Gulf Shores and Orange Beach offer.
Speaking of beach fun, these are the top spots for a seashell treasure hunt on the Gulf Coast.
3. You’ll have incredible eats at your fingertips
Be honest, are you a bonafide foodie? If so, you know there’s no better reason to travel than for the chance to experience food in a new city. Good news—Gulf Shores and Orange Beach is a prime spot for incredible eats and drinks. From the fresh seafood to unique cocktails, the options are endless.
Hungry? View restaurants in the area here.
4. You can check out these exciting events
Can’t leave town during Labor Day Weekend? No worries! Make plans to visit Gulf Shores and Orange Beach this fall. We discovered two events that are worth the travel time.
Orange Beach Freedom Fest
Round out September with the Orange Beach Freedom Fest, September 30-October 2. The event will include so many exciting activities like a car show, live music, arts and craft vendors, food vendors and kids’ activities. The coolest part? It’s happening at The Wharf—THE place for all things fun in Orange Beach. Learn more.
When: September 30-October 2
Where: The Wharf, 23101 Canal Rd, Orange Beach, AL 36561
49th Annual National Shrimp Festival
Love a good festival? The 49th Annual National Shrimp Festival is the one. Taking place October 6-9, the event features fresh Gulf seafood, live local music, family-friendly activities and over 200 arts and crafts. Learn more.
When: October 6-9
Where: Gulf Shores, Alabama – The intersection of Hwy 59 and East Beach Blvd
5. You can shop for your Fall 2022 wardrobe
Is it just me or is shopping always more fun on vacation? This is why I always plan to have one full day to shop ’til I drop when visiting the beach. I suggest The Wharf In Orange Beach. Here you’ll find a plethora of retail spots for adults and kids, which means you can load up on unique fashion finds for the fall season ahead.
Plus, The Wharf offers lots of food options, so you can grab a bite in between shopping.
Want more reasons to visit Gulf Shores and Orange Beach?
Gulf Shores and Orange Beach is a really interesting destination. Here are some fun facts:
- Alabama boasts the largest artificial reef program in the US. The Alabama Marine Resources Division currently manages more than 1,060 miles of artificial reefs off its coast.
- The Gulf State Park Fishing Pier is the largest in square footage along the entire US portion of the Gulf of Mexico.
- The Ferris wheel at The Wharf is the second tallest in the Southeast. This Italian-made structure stands at an impressive 112 feet.
- Orange Beach was named after the short-lived success of locals who attempted to grow oranges, grapefruit and satsuma trees on the shores.
You can also check out these stories:
- Birmingham, Gulf Shores, Orange Beach named best vacation spots for families in Eastern US
- Gulf Shores is a better vacation spot than Destin, Florida, says Washington Post article—find out why