The World Games 2022 is fast approaching and we’ve got a huge influx of athletes and fans to look forward to in The Magic City. In preparation, the City of Birmingham is putting some residential and commercial construction work and permits on pause around several World Games venues. Read on for more info, including maps of what’s affected.
Where will construction be halted?
This temporary pause on construction and permits allows law enforcement, city planning and transportation officials to keep navigation in the area safe and efficient.
Included in the suspension are construction, alteration, enlargement, repair and demolition of all structures, and utility-related permits and others. This applies to the following World Games venues and their surrounding areas:
- Avondale Park—4101 5th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35222
- Birmingham Southern—900 Arkadelphia Rd, Birmingham, AL 35254
- Central Downtown
- CrossPlex—2340 Crossplex Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35208
- Legion Field—400 Graymont Ave W, Birmingham, AL 35204
- Protective Stadium—1020 24th St N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- Sloss Furnaces—20 32nd St N, Birmingham, AL 35222
- UAB—1720 University Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35294
To mitigate its impact on the community as much as possible, the program will go into effect in two tiers. The first phase of suspension will begin Tuesday, June 21. An exception may be granted only if halting the construction project will cause significant damage or if an emergency arises.
See what’s affected
These maps include specific affected areas along with Tier I and Tier II permit information. Maps are courtesy of the City of Birmingham.
Get ready for TWG2022
- Catch The World Games 2022 Opening/Closing Ceremonies: Thursday, July 7, 8-10PM & Sunday, July 17, 8-10PM
- Where: Protective Stadium | 1020 24th St N, Birmingham, AL 35203
For more news like this delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for our FREE daily newsletter.