As we all know, COVID has sparked some creative reinvention of beloved holiday traditions. Holly Jolly Holidays in Oxford, Mississippi is no exception. Make plans now to visit between December 1-12 to celebrate the season. Keep reading for all the details.
1. Holly Jolly Holidays was a fan favorite in 2020
2020 was the first year the city hosted Holly Jolly Holidays, and the numbers tell us it was a huge hit:
- Over 1000 ice skaters in one weekend (yep, ice skaters)
- Over 200 horse-drawn carriage riders
- Over 250 visits with Santa
I wonder how many 2020 holidays Santa brightened based on those visits?
2. You can skate—on real ice
You’ll be able to ice skate on *real ice.* Last year was awesome, and everybody knows artificial ice just isn’t the same as the real deal.
Location: City of Oxford Pavilion (a covered, open-air pavilion), 1801 University Ave, Oxford, MS 38655
Days: Wednesday, December 1 through Sunday, December 12
Hours: Weekdays 3-9PM, Saturday 9AM-9PM, Sunday 1-9PM
Cost: $12 per skater, $6 Decker the Dolphin skate aid
There’s a college night December 1 where it costs $8 to skate with a valid student ID.
Visitors will also be able to enjoy live music from local choirs and food trucks.
3. Saturdays will be special at Holly Jolly Holidays
If you are in town on Saturday, December 4 or Saturday, December 11, here are some of the fun things you’ll be able to enjoy in and around the Square:
- Carriage rides: be Cinderella for a while as you board your very own horse-drawn carriage.
- Visit Santa: rumor has it that he’ll be stopping by the Visit Oxford office (1013 Jackson Avenue East) between 11AM and 3PM both days for visits with families.
4. There are even more fun things you can see + do while you’re there
- Ice carving: Watch an hour-long demo by an expert ice carver who will turn a block of ice into a beautiful holiday-themed object before your very eyes.
- Caricatures: While you wait to skate, you can pay to have your caricature drawn by hand.
- Ice hockey team: The Ole Miss ice hockey club will be on the ice for a “Shoot Your Puck” game one of the days during Holly Jolly Holidays.
- Community market: Whether you visit during Holly Jolly Holidays or another time, you can enjoy Oxford Community Market on Tuesdays from 3-6:30PM. It’s at the Old Armory Pavilion at 1801 University Avenue.
5. It’s a great time for participants + vendors alike
Here’s what people had to say about Holly Jolly Holidays in 2020:
“This was our first Christmas in Oxford, and we loved it. Absolutely magical. Thank you for such a fun and festive event.”Instagram fan
“So fun! We loved being a part of this, and we love our sweet little town.”City Hall Cheesecake Oxford
“We just left and had a great time! We have to say, while we had great food everywhere, the oatmeal raisin cookies at Uptown Coffee and the donuts at High Rise were awesome! That goat cheese/cranberry donut was unbelievable! We also enjoyed finding all the little displays outside the storefronts. It was a fun weekend with perfect weather. Thanks, Oxford!”Facebook follower