Read Time 3 Minutes
ICYMI, Woodlawn is hoppin’ and two big events are coming up that you won’t want to miss. From Saturday, October 2-Saturday, October 9, Blank Space Bham is hosting the first-ever Magic City Mural Fest. And on Sunday, October 10, from 2-5PM, the Woodlawn Foundation is hosting the annual Woodlawn Sunday Dinner. Keep reading for all the details.
Magic City Mural Fest is taking place from Oct. 2-9
From Saturday, October 2 to Saturday, October 9, Blank Space Bham is hosting the very first Magic City Mural Fest. Female led in partnership with the community, this festival will feature six women artists who will transform an alleyway in Woodlawn.
- Where: the alleyway behind 5512 First Ave S (between 55th Street N and 55th Place N)
- Ribbon Cutting: Saturday, October 9 at 3:00pm
These local businesses open up to the alleyway:
- N’mosa Designs: a combination fabric store/design studio/sewing school for the community. Open now + grand opening November 20.
- The Woodlawn Theatre: a 250-seat performance venue.
- The Woodlawn Bar and Loungue: new sports bar, planning to open November 1.
- Trynab Studios: (coming soon) a space for creatives which focuses on remaking vintage clothing into modern fashion. This spot will also be used as an incubator for supporting businesses, especially those owned by women of color.
Featured artists at Magic City Mural Fest
Want more info about Magic City Mural Fest or want to make an in-kind donation like a pop-up shade tent or bottled water?
Woodlawn Sunday Dinner is Sunday, October 10 from 2-5PM
If spending an afternoon enjoying street art, shade trees, sidewalks and storefronts peppered with diverse guests, delicious food and jovial music is up your alley, you need to get your tickets now for the Woodlawn Sunday Dinner.
- What: an annual Woodlawn Foundation fundraiser
- Homeowner Rehabilitation Program: Through this program, Woodlawn residents can apply for up to $10,000 to make vital home repairs that if left in disrepair could lead to unsafe living conditions. They also help homeowners secure insurance and estate planning with Woodlawn Foundation partners at Volunteer Lawyers of Birmingham.
- Woodlawn WORx
- General operating expenses to help the Woodlawn Foundation end the cycle of intergenerational poverty
- Where: 55th Place North, Birmingham, AL 35212
- Cost: $75 to attend live, $45 to pick up food curbside, 12 + under free
- Get tickets
You’ll be able to enjoy tastings prepared by chefs with ties to Woodlawn and the surrounding community.
Featured food vendors include:
- Bayles Catering
- Dirty Red Food Truck
- Jolly Cakes
- Naughty but Nice Kettle Corn Co.
- Post Office Pies
- Simply Sonequa’s Pound Cakes
Guests will enjoy pre-packaged offerings from these places during the dinner.
There will also be limited capacity trolley tours every 30 minutes for guests to tour the progress being made in the Woodlawn community.
To keep everyone safe, here’s what to expect:
- Masks will be given to guests at entry.
- Pre-boxed tastings mean no buffet lines for guests.
- The event team has volunteered to wear their masks during the event.
- Event seating has been changed from long community tables to well-spaced 60” rounds.
Event guests can keep the community members safe by presenting their COVID-19 vaccination card or negative COVID-19 test (within 48 hours) for entry. Review the full COVID-19 protocols for Woodlawn Sunday Dinner.
Now tell us, Birmingham, what’s your favorite thing to do in Woodlawn? Tag us on social @bhamnow and let us know!