Read Time 3 Minutes
If you’re anything like me, the summer months inspire you to make vacay plans every other week. Nearby Tupelo, Mississippi is the perfect spot to make memories with colorful murals adorning the streets, innovative dishes at restaurants across town and warm smiles from everyone you pass. Check out these inspiring experiences over the summer and get to know Tupelo like a local.
1. Live the journey that changed music forever
Want to trace the steps of the King of Rock & Roll? Now you can by following Tupelo’s three-day itinerary, which starts at Elvis Presley’s birthplace. Elvis was born in East Tupelo and, thankfully for music buffs, his mom gave him a guitar from Tupelo Hardware Company for his 11th birthday.
2. Taste the flavors of tomorrow
Foodies, this one’s for you. Tupelo’s been building a reputation for its thriving food scene. Local chefs are constantly upping the bar when it comes to creativity, flavor and locally sourced dishes. With gorgeous summer temperatures, you’ll also get to experience Tupelo’s outdoor dining scene at its best. Need some inspiration to get you started? Check out a few local favorites, including:
- Steele’s Dive, which has an amazing patio & tasty apps, burgers and more | 4187 Main St, Tupelo, MS 38801
- Queen’s Reward Meadery, Mississippi’s first meadery that makes perfectly sweet drinks | 1719 McCullough Blvd, Tupelo, MS 38801
- Local food trucks, for lunch on-the-go
3. See Tupelo through the eyes of an artist + take fun photos you’ll love to share
Murals play an important role in Tupelo—each one telling a story about the people and moments that make the town what it is today. If you want to check out the best murals Tupelo, Mississippi has to offer, we’ve got ya covered.
- The Chickasaw Heritage Mural: This mural, painted by local artists Lujan Perez and MJ Torrecampo, recognizes Chickasaw heritage and shows leaders Chief Piominko and Chief Tishominko | 216 West Main Street, Tupelo, MS 38804
- The Book Stack Mural: Local artist Morris McCain painted this tribute to family-owned and operated Reed’s Department Store | 131 West Main Street, Tupelo, MS 38804
- Greetings From Tupelo: Your Instagram posts won’t be complete until you check out this “postcard from Tupelo” mural by Reid Caldwell and Kit Stafford | 202 West Main Street, Tupelo, MS 38804
- Find a full list of murals here to check off your bucket list.
4. Enjoy live music + find your new favorite bands
Of course, music is an important part of Tupelo, Mississippi. The people behind Tupelo’s music scene help others succeed *and* make sure you have a great time on your visit. Adam Morgan, the owner of the iconic venue Blue Canoe, supports regional musicians. Plus, head to Romie’s Grocery, another local venue with all kinds of live music, from country to blues. No matter when you visit, you’ll have entertainment options.Tupelo boasts live music every day of the week in one of their 13 live music venues.
5. Travel through time and learn from history
Your trip won’t be complete without taking time to reflect and learn. Take a walk through history on trails that tell the stories of the Chickasaw Nation, the Civil War and the Civil Rights Movement in Tupelo and Lee County. You’ll see amazing tales of courage and get a firsthand look at how the people who call Tupelo home strive to make better tomorrows.
Ready to book your trip to Tupelo, Mississippi? Visit Tupelo has all the resources you need on their website.