Batter up for an impressive weekend, May 7-9, Birmingham! We’ve got Baron’s Baseball + after-game fireworks, Eat in the Streets, and, of course, Mother’s Day! Now hurry and make your plans (and be sure to take safety precautions!)—these events are only getting hotter.
This Weekend in the Magic City
Checking those boxes
Seeking a home that marks off all your must-have boxes? Spend some time this weekend checking out these new home listings.
Back in action!
The Shark + Ray Touch Tank at McWane Science Center has reopened! Visit this weekend to discover its many cool underwater creatures and more science-y things. More info.
Barons Baseball Blurb
It’s a big weekend for the Birmingham Barons as they play the Biloxi Shuckers. Head to Regions Field for baseball, fireworks + family day, Friday, May 7-Sunday, May 9. Schedule + tickets here.
Channel your inner duchess or duke, it’s time for something scandalous. Join Birmingham Museum of Art on Friday, May 7 from 5-9PM for Art After 5: BMA’s Bridgerton. This virtual event features a concert, scavenger hunt + more. Tune in for FREE.
Iconic + aquatic
Birmingham area’s most iconic aquatic flower, the Cahaba lily, is in bloom at the National Wildlife Refuge. See them in all their fabulous glory when you book a tour on Saturday, May 8 or Sunday, May 9. Member donation – $20, Non-Member Donation – $40, Kids under 12 – FREE.
Eat while you art
Bham Art Crawl is back and better than ever on Saturday, May 8 at The Pizitz from 11AM-4PM. The event takes place in conjunction with Eat in the Streets, so expect great art, delicious food and a DJ. More info.
Just what your mama wants
On Saturday, May 8 from Noon to 5PM, Cahaba Brewing Co. is hosting the Mother’s Day Market of your mom’s dreams. They’ve teamed up with 50 local artisans, vendors, markets + creators for a full day of food, shopping, cocktails + craft beer. Here are a few vendors to expect: Simone’s Food Truck, Eden Valley Farm, Market 46 Bakery, Thrifty Things & Earrings, Cottage Industry Soap Company and the Sugarbelle Foundation. Admission is FREE.
Plants for sale
Stock up on plants during the Spring 2021 Native Plant Sale at Turkey Creek Nature Preserve. Along with 100 plant varieties to choose from, you’ll also be able to see their all-new Education Pavilion. Check it out Saturday, May 8 from 10AM-4PM + Sunday, May 9 from Noon-4PM.
Want more events? Check out Now the Weekend—Video Edition.
More Events for Mom
- Saturday, May 8: Mother’s Day Special & Vendor Festival @ Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum (Calera). Festival – 9AM, Train Rides – 10AM + 1PM. Festival Admission – Adults $13. Train Tickets – $25-$35. Moms Ride FREE with purchase of regularly priced ticket. Tickets.
- Saturday-Sunday, May 8-9: Mother’s Day Weekend 2021 @ The Birmingham Zoo. 1 free child’s ticket (age 2-12) with purchase of 1 adult ticket. Tickets.
- Sunday, May 9: Mother’s Day Drum Circle with John Scalici @ Avondale Park. FREE.
Check out these articles for even more Mother’s Day happenings:
Coming up Next Weekend
- Thursdays-Saturdays, May 13-June 5: Red Mountain Theatre Parkside Concert Series @ Red Mountain Theatre. 7:30PM + 8PM. $10. Tickets.
- Saturday, May 15: Cahaba Lily Festival (Virtual). Watch here.
- Saturday, May 15: Pelham Palooza @ The Trails at Pelham Park. 10AM-4PM. FREE.
- Saturday, May 15: 15th Annual Spring Scramble 5K Road Race @ Trak Shak Homewood. UAB/Children’s of AL Employees – $25, General Public – $30. Register.
- Saturday, May 15: Creek Bank Festival @ Leeds Memorial Park. 10AM-4PM. FREE.
- Saturday, May 15:Do Dah Day @ Cahaba Brewing Co. 11AM-6PM. $5 in advance, $8 at gate. Tickets.
- Eleven Eleven Clothiers: Use discount code Shopsmall10 for 10% off your purchase.
- Fit Five Meals: Score a deal with discount code BHAMNOW.
- Studio Steel: Grab the new student special – 3 classes for $50 (single class price $25).