Did you know that 16.6 per 100,000 people overdose in Alabama each year? Fight back against substance use disorder (SUD) by joining Addiction Prevention Coalition’s End Heroin Bham 16.6 Challenge, April 16-30. Here are five reasons to sign up and share on social media.
End Heroin Challenge 16.6 Challenge Event Details
What: a yearly event that brings thousands together in an effort to spread awareness about the drug epidemic in Alabama.
When: April 16-30
Event Packet Pickup Details:
When: Saturday, April 10 between 11AM-2PM
Where: Trak Shak Homewood, 2839 18th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35209
After this date, packet pickup is available at the Addiction Prevention Coalition Office, located at 324 Commons Drive, Birmingham, AL 35209.
Packets requested via mail will be sent out Friday, April 9.
You get some cool swag when you register, too, including:
- End Heroin Birmingham Challenge T-shirt
- Participants bib
- Swag from participating community resources
Now, onto the five reasons why you should register now for the End Heroin Bham 16.6 Challenge:
1. You’ll be helping an amazing cause and organization.
One of the most important reasons to register for the End Heroin Bham 16.6 Challenge is that you’ll be helping an amazing organization—Addiction Prevention Coalition (APC), a nonprofit community resource that aims to eliminate addiction in Central Alabama. After having the opportunity to learn about them and work alongside them, I’ve discovered some of the incredible ways they are helping those in Birmingham and Central Alabama.
Here are some things to know:
- They’ve been a constant for many in the community, having served the Greater Birmingham Area for over a decade.
- They strive to stop addiction before it starts through programs like Prevention education for adolescents and adults, Teen Mental Health First Aid and Scholarships for people to enter rehab.
- Their vision is to be a leader in addiction prevention by inspiring people to live with hope, resilience and purpose.
APC is also the organization behind the annual End Heroin Bham Walk. Each year, the fundraising campaign/walk brings thousands together in an effort to spread awareness about the drug epidemic in Alabama. Though the pandemic shook things up a bit, APC is continuing their efforts with the 16.6 Challenge, April 16-30.
“The End Heroin Walk is a very special event that I’ve come to look forward to each year. It’s a time for people to unite on one front, to share their stories of loss but also to celebrate milestone victories. The walk is a true symbol of hope and change for our community and brings a whole new perspective to the precious meaning of life.”Lauren Sisler, ESPN Sports Reporter + Board Member of Addiction Prevention Coalition
2. You can choose the activity that’s right for you.
When it comes to fundraising events, many fall into the category of runs/walks. But what if you don’t enjoy running or walking? With the 16.6 Challenge, you don’t have to endure an activity you dislike. Instead, you get to choose the option that’s right for you.
Your 16.6 activity can be completed in jumps, skips, laps, reps or miles over hours or days. The possibilities are endless. Here are some ideas to get you motivated:
- Jumping rope
Want more ideas? Check out this list.
During the End Heroin Bham 16.6 Challenge, there will also be Online NARCAN Training that teaches you how to recognize the signs of narcotic overdose and how to administer emergency NARCAN treatment.
3. You have 16 days to take part in the Challenge.
Birmingham is no stranger to fundraising walks. But unlike many that are held on just one specific day, the 16.6 Challenge takes place from April 16-30. That’s 16 days to:
- Raise funds and spread awareness about substance use disorder
- Perform an activity of your choice and share your story on social media
4. You can participate with a group, by yourself or in other ways
When you join the End Heroin Bham 16.6 Challenge, you can participate in a number of ways, including:
- Join a team and fundraise/spread awareness together.
- Register as an individual and enjoy some much-needed “me time”.
- Create a fundraising page and raise funds for the cause.
- Donate directly to the cause.
5. You’ll get to share your story using #EHBChallenge.
Why did you accept APC’s End Heroin Bham 16.6 Challenge? Whether it’s for someone you know who is currently struggling with substance use disorder, for someone who has in the past, or other reason, APC encourages all participants to share why they joined the movement.
To share your story, visit all of your social media outlets and post your story using the hashtag #EHBChallenge.
While you’re at it, help spread the word by encouraging others to register, donate and join the movement to save lives.
Are you ready to accept the Challenge and join Addiction Prevention Coalition in stopping substance use disorder in Alabama? Participate in the End Heroin Bham 16.6 Challenge, April 16-30. Sign up and share on social.