Ditching carbs, but wondering how long you can suffer the boredom of string cheese and steamed broccoli? We got you! Check out these flavorful keto-friendly dishes being served around Birmingham.
1. Keto Almond Flour Naan from Bay Leaf
It’s all about the keto Naan at Bay Leaf Modern Indian Cuisine & Bar.
Made purely from almond flour and roasted in an Indian clay oven, this tasty item pairs perfectly with almost every dish on the menu. Price: $7
Location: 1024 20th St S Unit 101, Birmingham, AL 35205 | 5426 US-280, Ste 14, Birmingham, AL 35242
2. Cauliflower Grits from Bell Peppers
Love grits but taking a hiatus from carbs? Consider the cauliflower grits from Bell Peppers in Hueytown. Order them three ways:
- Plain for $5.99
- Loaded with turkey pan sausage, turkey bacon, turkey smoked sausage, 4 cheese blend + a scrambled egg for $8.99
- Loaded with 4 cheese blend, turkey bacon + seasons garlic butter shrimp for $8.75
This restaurant is a low-carbers food haven. Check out the menu here.
Where: 144 River Square Plaza, Hueytown, AL 35023
Contact to order ahead: 205.436.8500
3. Cheese Pizza with Cauliflower Crust from Slice Birmingham
Cauliflower is a keto-ers best friend—especially if it means you can have pizza. When you’re seeking that perfect low-carb meal, visit Slice Birmingham for the cheese pizza with cauliflower crust.
But hey, veggies and toppings like pepperoni and sausage are A-OK on keto, so if you need more heft to your slice, feel free to pile it on.
Price varies on pizza toppings.
Where: 725 29th St S, Birmingham, AL 35233 | 3104 Timberlake Dr, Vestavia Hills, AL 35243
Contact: 205.715.9300 (205) Lakeview – 205.557.5423 ext.1 | Vestavia – 205.557.5423 ext.2
Lakeview Online Ordering | Vestavia Online Ordering
4. Spicy Steak Salad from Bamboo on 2nd
One problem many face when on low carb diets like keto is finding meals rich in flavor. That’s no problem when you order the Spicy Steak Salad from Bamboo on 2nd. This savory salad packs a punch with grilled beef, romaine lettuce, mint, onion, tomato, cilantro, scallions, cucumbers and house citrus dressing. Price: $14
Citrus dressing a bit too sweet? Mix it up by choosing your personal fave.
You can also opt for the Spicy Caesar salad which features romaine lettuce, Spicy Caesar dressing—hold the Wonton crisps for $8. To make it more filling, top it with chicken ($5), beef ($6) or pork ($5).
Where: 2212 2nd Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
Contact to order in advance: 205.703.0551
5. Tropibowl from Tropicaelo
If a meal is served in a bowl, chances are, I’ll like it. This is one reason I’m happy to tell you about the Tropibowl from Tropicaleo.
It features organic spring mix, tofu—or pork for meat eaters— and house sauce or spicy vinaigrette. Price: $9
6. Chicken + Gravy from The Joyful Food Company
Cooking for a family while you’re on keto can make everything much more difficult. As a parent, I can honestly say that catering to everyone’s personal tastebuds is frustrating, but cooking more than one meal at dinnertime is the worst.
Happily, The Joyful Food Company creates family-sized meals your whole crew will enjoy. Just order and bake at home.
One example is the chicken and gravy over cauliflower rice. Serving four to six people, this dish is made with organic chicken, organic cauliflower rice, organic bone broth, onion, arrowroot flour, dried mushrooms, garlic and other spices.
Where: 759 Shades Mountain Plaza, Hoover, AL 35226
Contact to order: 205.538.7967
7. Fish Cakes from The Anvil Pub and Grill
Modern and upscale with a British twist, The Anvil Pub and Grill is a favorite of locals around Birmingham. What makes it even better? That it offers some keto-friendly dishes, of course.
Here are three to add to your must-try list:
- Fish Cakes: braised pork belly, cod fish, pecan gremolata + apples. Price $15
- Beet Salad: roasted beets, goat cheese, candied pecans, black garlic + white balsamic vinaigrette. Price: 15
- Wedge Salad: blue cheese, bacon, Confit cherry tomatoes + buttermilk dressing. Price: 10 Add chicken (+$5), shrimp (+$10), turkey (+$6), salmon (+$12), Wagyu steak (+$14) or oysters – (+$7).
Where: 611 Doug Baker Blvd, Unit 103, Birmingham, AL 35242
Contact to order: 205.637.7100
8. Greek Salad from The Blueroot Company
The Blueroot Company may offer healthy food, but it’s so good, your body will feel smiley all over. The best part is that they offer tons of keto-friendly meals. Here are some of them:
- Greek Salad: spinach, grilled chicken, cucumber, teardrop peppers, Kalamata olives, pistachios, feta, fresh herbs + oregano-red wine vinaigrette.
- Kale Caesar: chopped kale, grilled chicken, cherry tomatoes, parmesan crisps, lime + Greek yogurt-Caesar dressing.
- Kimchi Brussels Sprouts: slightly spicy Brussels sprouts salad with kimchi, scallions + sesame seeds.
- Naked Eggs with Vegetables: two soft-boiled farm eggs, seasonal vegetables, spinach, goat cheese, and lemon vinaigrette
- Vegetable Basil Soup: seasonal vegetables, onion, basil, parmesan, pumpkin seeds, olive oil + sea salt.
Contact The Blueroot Company for prices.
Jonesin’ for dessert? Whoops, silly question. To satisfy that sweet tooth, journey over here to discover five Alabama bakeries baking up keto-friendly treats.