Let’s be honest, being anywhere without A/C right now is miserable. Thankfully there are still ways to get out and explore the city AND stay cool at the same time. Here are 3 ways to beat the summer heat in Birmingham including where to find waterfalls, tropical cocktails and sweet treats.
1. Spend a day in the water (or under a waterfall)
Birmingham is surrounded by lakes, rivers and hidden waterfalls ready to be discovered. Whether you’re floating down the Cahaba, spending the day at the lake or chasing waterfalls, being near water is an instant cure to a hot summer day. Get started with these guides:
- Your guide to Lake Life at Birmingham’s most accessible spots
- Where to go chasing waterfalls in and around Birmingham
- 9 things you need to know about swimming pools in + around Birmingham
2. Grab a refreshing drink at a local bar or brewery
An ice-cold cocktail or craft beer really hits different on a sunny summer day. Grab your masks, a few friends and head out to your favorite watering hole to beat the heat with a drink in your hand. Here are some must-try drinks to add to your list:
- 5 piña coladas that will drive you coconuts in the Magic City
- 11 must-try summer beers from Birmingham breweries
- Your ultimate guide to Birmingham’s craft breweries (VIDEO)
3. Treat yourself to something sweet
This story wouldn’t be complete without some sweet treats. Think ice cream, popsicles, iced coffee, and shaved ice. *drools* We have the guides you need to satisfy your sweet tooth when the summer heat is just too much.
- Need a cooldown? Here are 8 spots to get shaved ice + popsicles in Birmingham
- 10 spots in Birmingham to score an ice-cold coffee this summer
- Slide into summer with 9 Birmingham ice cream shops open + curbside options