Read Time 3 Minutes
Who doesn’t love Lakeview? One of the hottest entertainment districts in Birmingham, Lakeview has several new and upcoming openings that’ll knock your socks off.
The newest addition to Lakeview is a new cyberpunk-themed bar named Electra. Located in the old Chapel Bar & Nightclub, the joint features a groovy, handmade epoxy bar and several murals and art pieces from local artists. Electra is the newest project by Marsha Mims, owner/operator of Marty’s GM in Irondale and Marty’s PM in Five Points South.
Also, Electra is hosting their grand opening celebration on Friday, August 7—so mask up, bring your dog and friends, and grab a bite and a drink at Electra!
2. Purple Onion
- Address: 737 29 St. South, Birmingham AL 35233
The Purple Onion, a Birmingham favorite with several locations throughout the city, is nearing the opening date for their latest location in Lakeview. The Birmingham-native Deli and Grill will be taking the spot of the former On Tap Sports Cafe in the heart of Lakeview.
In addition to the new Lakeview location, Purple Onion is planning to add four new locations throughout Birmingham:
- 2581 Pelham Parkway in Pelham
- 2207 Moody Parkway in Moody
- 1545 Montclair Road in Irondale
- 3318 Rainbow Drive in Rainbow City
3. Half-Shell Oyster House
- Contact: 205.882.8080 | Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 608 29th St. South, Birmingham AL 35233
Half Shell Oyster house recently made their Birmingham debut in March, and we seafood lovers couldn’t be happier. If you’re an oyster fan (like me), you’ll love all the oyster options at Half Shell, like:
- Oysters Orleans: charbroiled over an open flame and basted with New Orleans style smoke Cajun sauce.
- Charbroiled oysters: charbroiled over an open flame with white wine, butter, garlic and herb sauce.
- Oysters Bienville: topped with herbs, mushrooms, crab, Gulf shrimp, bacon and Italian bread crumbs, then baked and finished with Parmesan cheese.
- Oysters Rockefeller: topped with fresh spinach, cream cheese, herbs and Pernod, then baked and finished with Parmesan cheese.
In addition to their Lakeview location, Half Shell Oyster House is planning to open their new Trussville location on August 12th.
4. Lakeview Green
- Address: 2901 4th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
Lakeview Green is one of the several upcoming mixed-use projects coming soon to Birmingham. The project is a unique living and green space located at the site of the former Davis School on the corner of 4th Avenue South and 29th Street South, just a block away from Pepper Place.
The development will include 73 studios, one and two-bedroom apartments, complete with granite countertops, walk-in closets, hardwood flooring and a balcony. In addition, the ground floor of Lakeview Green will include 38,000 square feet of available retail space, perfect for restaurants and upscale retail merchants.
5. Barber Companies’ New Renovation Project
Address: 3116 Fourth Ave. S. Birmingham, AL 35233
Birmingham’s own Barber Companies is looking to renovate a 7,000-square-foot warehouse building in the Lakeview district. According to BhamWiki, the warehouse was previously used by Chase Bays, a local designer + manufacturer for aftermarket automobile parts.
The Birmingham Design Review Committee recently approved Barber Companies’ redevelopment plan for the warehouse. According to Merrimon Epps of Barber Companies, the redevelopment is a speculative project—depending on the need, the firm could adjust the building for industrial or retail use.