Read Time 2 Minutes
Taking the perfect selfie just got easier. Birmingham’s first selfie museum, The Pixel Room, is opening tomorrow, July 17 and we’ve got all the deets.
For starters, what even is a selfie?
If you’re not familiar with the viral internet phrase, a selfie—according to Merriam-Webster—is simply “an image that includes oneself (often with another person or as part of a group) and is taken by oneself using a digital camera especially for posting on social networks.”
The term took off around 2012 and by November of 2013, it was Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year. Today, the #selfie hashtag on Instagram has more than 425 million posts and counting, with people from all over the world contributing to the sea of selfies.
And now Birmingham has its very own selfie museum!
Selfie museums have popped up across the country in places like Denver, CO., Seattle, WA. and Des Moines, IA. And now we have our very own in Birmingham. The Pixel Room, located at The Outlet Shops of Grand River in Leeds, is opening tomorrow, July 17 and we’re just a little excited. (!!!)
The Pixel Room is an interactive, Instagrammable venue, with 20 colorful backdrops set up around the space so visitors can get the perfect shot. Some of their sets include a Lemonade Room, an Upside Down House, checkered walls and more. We even got to get a sneak peek—check our Instagram Stories for the mini-tour!
Get allll the details
- Hours: Currently, The Pixel Room is closed on Mondays and open Tues-Thurs 12-8PM, Fri + Sat 11AM-10PM, and Sunday 12-6PM.
- Tickets: It’s family-friendly, and ages 0-4 get in free. The cost for ages 5-13 is $17 and for anyone 14+ is $23. Get your tickets online now!
- Photos: Photographers with professional cameras are allowed, but professional lighting equipment is not.
The Pixel Room is also available for private events. Shoot them an email at email@example.com for rates and more info.
COVID-19 Safety Measures
To ensure the safety of their staff and visitors, they’ve also implemented COVID-19 safety measures including:
- Reducing the total number of guests allowed in the space per hourly time slot, to allow for safe distancing
- Placing hand sanitizing stations at the entrance + around The Pixel Room for guests and staff to use
- Remaining contactless with all payments. Tickets can be purchased online, and no cash will be accepted in the space.
- Cleaning high touch point areas and props frequently throughout the day.