If you haven’t had the dream of packing up some trail mix and flannel shirts and hitting the road in a camper, you haven’t listened to enough Alt-Rock Indie playlists on Spotify. However you decide to travel on your next adventure, Birmingham will make sure s’mores and cozy tents await you when you reach your destination.
Hey, hey have you taken a look at our database featuring over 520 local businesses? It’s where I found some of these and you can sign yours up today.
How will you travel?
Gearbox Adventure Rentals
- What: Rent, build or buy a camper van
- Where: 1620 Carson Road N Birmingham, AL 35217
- Contact: Book a van | 205.379.0027 | Facebook
Airstream of Birmingham + Dixie RV Superstore
- What: Sells Airstreams, RVs and other motor vehicles related to camping
- Where: 1150 George Roy Parkway Calera, AL 35040
- Contact: Browse their inventory | (205) 509-3707 | Facebook
Grab your gear
- What: Camping equipment including tents, backpacks, silverware
- Where: 3054 Independence Dr, Homewood, AL 35209
- Contact: Shop now | (205) 870-1919 | Facebook
Mountain High Outfitters
- What: Extensive inventory of tents, camping accessories and more
- Where: Several locations, check the website for the location nearest to you
- Contact: Shop now | (888) 968-4386 | Facebook
- What: Fishing equipment, outdoor clothing, coolers
- Where: 1400 Montgomery Hwy, Vestavia Hills, AL 35216
- Contact: Shop online | (205) 822-2010 | Facebook
Campgrounds a short drive from Birmingham
We’ve also put together a couple of guides if you’re looking for an outdoor adventure like where to find waterfalls and great spring hikes close to the city. In terms of overnight camping, here are just a few of the top campsites a short drive from the ‘ham.
Cathedral Caverns State Park
While you can’t camp directly in the eerily beautiful caverns, the park does offer a campsite, lodging and even back country camping if you’re going for that rustic vibe. The best part is you’re close to the caverns when you’re ready to cool off from an Alabama summer.
- Distance: 87 miles
- Email or call 256-728-8193 to register or reserve a site
- More information on Cathedral Caverns State Park
Oak Mountain State Park
Oak Mountain’s campsite offers the ideal backdrop for a weekend getaway. You’re encircled around rolling hills and against the border of Beaver Lake. There’s also equestrian and backcountry camping for those of us with a little adventure on our side.
“I took my 2 sons (5 & 8 yo) camping over the weekend. From the greeter at the gate, to our camp host and every State Park employee we met was so friendly and helpful. With only 3 days at Oak Mountain we hiked a few of the many trails, saw a waterfall and swam in 3 different lakes. My boys are already begging to go back. I loved everything about this Park and highly recommend a visit.Google review
- Distance: 21 miles
- Book a campsite
- More information on campsite amenities, fees and reservations
Lake Guntersville State Park
Whether you’re a glamper or more of a primitive camper, Lake Guntersville has tons of options. Literally— just the main campground includes 295 campsites. Their Town Creek Primitive Campground provides primitive campsites on the water, bathhouses, boat rentals and more.
- Distance: 78 miles
- Book a campsite
- More information on what each campsite offers, fees and additional options
Where is your favorite spot to camp around Birmingham? 🥾Make sure to share it on social with us @BhamNow on Facebook and Instagram, or @Now_Bham on Twitter.