Read Time 3 Minutes
As we all await the end of COVID-19, there’s still lots of living and learning to do! McWane Science Center is continuing their mission to bring science to kids and parents in Birmingham through virtual learning, but to continue doing this, they need your help. Continue reading to learn how. Or, donate now.
Help McWane continue their mission to bring science to families
On March 16, McWane Science Center announced they would temporarily be closing their doors to help flatten the curve of COVID-19.
Whether you’ve been to McWane Science Center one time or a hundred times, you know it’s a pretty cool place!
- It inspires scientists of today and tomorrow through interactive exhibits and hands-on programs.
- It collaborates with teachers and schools to help deliver quality science learning content that meets science standards in the state of Alabama.
- It engages children and families of low-income and disadvantaged households who may not interact with science otherwise.
What you may not know about McWane Science Center is that it is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. This means it relies heavily on donations. In fact, more than 70% of McWane’s total revenue and nearly all of the revenue available to support staff and operations is generated through the following channels:
- Store sales
What does this mean? That Birmingham’s beloved science museum is facing significant challenges.
How you can help
Happily, there are ways to help.
- Purchase or renew your membership. You may not be able to visit McWane Science Center right now, but soon, their doors will be open and they’ll be welcoming you inside with warm hearts and friendly faces. So go ahead and buy–or renew—that membership. You won’t regret it.
- Gift a membership. Know someone who would love a membership to McWane Science Center? Give them the gift of a membership.
- Donate. Whether $1 or $100, your donation will support McWane Science Center in a big way.
There are three ways to donate:
- By Phone. Call 205.714.8282
- By Mail. Send checks to McWane Science Center Development Office, 200 19th St. N., Birmingham, AL 35203
“In times like these, we all need to support what we value. We hope those who value McWane Science Center will help us continue to excite and inspire children through science.”Amy Templeton, President and CEO, McWane Science Center
A Devoted Staff
What’s amazing about McWane Science Center is that even during a pandemic, its staff, scientists and volunteers are still devoted to continue their mission of bringing science to those in and around Birmingham.
While we all continue to adjust to social distancing and staying at home, McWane’s staff is busy thinking and planning ahead to when they can reopen their doors. They are actively:
- Planning for upcoming camps
- Creating programs and educational activities
- Designing new exhibit
Science at Home Educates and Excites
McWane’s education team is doing something especially exciting—designing fun, educational digital programming to engage children and families at home.
Cabin Fever—perfectly named for all this social distances we are doing—offers virtual science while stuck at home.
Having watched almost all of McWane’s videos with my daughter, I can honestly say they are fun. Bonus: the videos also keep her entertained so I can actually get some work done.
Each video offers something new, like learning step-by-step instructions on how to make your own lava lamp or bath bombs.
You can even check out what Mr. Science is up to in the Adventures of Mac and Wayne. If you’ve seen live shows by Mr. Science at McWane, you know he loves anything that’s loud, fiery and explosive. So expect to see some exciting things.
You can also try Stay Home Science with McWane, which features activities that range from bubbles to engineering. Activities are regularly posted to McWane Science Center’s Facebook and Instagram pages.
Support McWane Science Center